New unbrakable copy protection scheme

Thread: New unbrakable copy protection scheme

New unbrakable copy protection scheme

JVC has announced that it will use a CDROM copy protection scheme based on the collaboration between itself and a Japenese company Hudsonsoft. The scheme called the 'Root', records an encryption key when a CDROM is created in such a way that an error is generated when any attempt is made to playback software from copied disks.

It will be built into CDRWs so that copying to CD-R/RWs cannot circumvent it. The technology prevents encryption keys being read when copied disks are played back, and JVC hopes to sell mastering units incorporating the new technology to other manufacturers. The same technique can also be used to prevent copying of DVDs to any other media.
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

Nothing is unbreakable.

I guarantee you that it will be cracked within 48 hours of hitting the streets.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Well not trying to sound repetative,but everything I've seen that claimed to be unbreakable has been cracked within a pretty short period of time.People aren't perfect,therefore people cannot make a perfect form of security.The first clue that it's BS is that encryption has keys,so unless you have to have a key to unlock it it's encoded not encrypted.Most programs that call their encoding encrypting tend to be suspect,so that makes me feel that this CD "encryption" is too.Even if the algorithm used for it is decent,there's always distributed computing.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I agree with u all. Nothing perfect in this world. For me once u said ur system cant be hack, well u had let hackers to hack to ur system. so never imagine ppl can have unbreakable code.

errr, and exactly how does this not completely null and void the Fair Use Act?

I am free to make backups of ANY software, music, or movies that I own legally. This is a right that has been granted to me by the US Court System. I think this type of technology should be fought, and soon, by all the consumer rights groups.

Also, I'm pretty sure this will be broken shortly after release.

El Diablo

Originally posted here by problemchild
    I guarantee you that it will be cracked within 48 hours of hitting the streets.
    I guarantee you that it will be cracked b4 its released in the market;-)
    buying M$ OS is like ordering a soup where u gotta pay extra for the bowl and spoon....and each time u order something new u gotta pay a huge amount for a new table!!!

Re: New unbrakable copy protection scheme

Originally posted here by manpreet
    JVC has announced that it will use a CDROM copy protection scheme based on the collaboration between itself and a Japenese company Hudsonsoft. The scheme called the 'Root', records an encryption key when a CDROM is created in such a way that an error is generated when any attempt is made to playback software from copied disks.

It will be built into CDRWs so that copying to CD-R/RWs cannot circumvent it. The technology prevents encryption keys being read when copied disks are played back, and JVC hopes to sell mastering units incorporating the new technology to other manufacturers. The same technique can also be used to prevent copying of DVDs to any other media.
    Oh geez... why does this sound so much like the original "unbreakable DVD crypto." Geez... *sigh* But if you have "both sides" of an encrypted conversation (including the keys), chances are you can break it given enough time and motivation (and, well, given sufficient knowledge/understanding). And, still, they have reverse-compatibility to worry about to boot...

Until someone takes something like Divx (?) and "holds all the keys" (ie. you dial-in or connect across a network or something before you can get "authorization" to view something), I can't see how they're going to protect these things.

And yes, I know I'm probably not explaining my point terribly well right now... my apologies.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Unbreakable, ha. This almost belongs in the tech humor forum, nothing is unbreakble if you get off your ass and do something about, JVC should be more careful in their claims.
    what is love but contempt for hate?

"security is theoritical"
    10pht motto <-- very true i belive, exibited in microsofts latest attempt to control piracy