Thread: tracking hacker....

Exclamation tracking hacker....

hi! today at my zonealarm firewall i got the messege that a particular ip is trying to break in my system, using neotrace pro i tracked the location of his ISP, but unfortunately ISP don't pay any attention tomy report. Now is there any possibility that i could track the exact biodata and location of that hacker. Also i think that person is in my messenger list and while chatting he tried to hack in my system. Can i trace his ip address while chatting him at msn? so that i would become sure that he is the person who is hacking me. (I've tried using netstat command in DOS while p2p connection but it dont work at MSN messenger). I hope for some good response.

well it all depands what kind of attack he tried ot do ...
    sometimes zonealarm is not the most efficient thing to look at.
    try to get detail trace posted here when he is trying to hack you in...
    netstat should give you all ip connection to your pc so if he is having a direct link with you ...
    assembly.... digital dna ?

You really do not know if the "hacker" is trying to "break into your system." Some firewalls such as *BlackICE* try to show off, so I seriously doubt you're being hacked. For the location of this "hacker", try the precise WhoIS here at AO. For getting his IP in Messenger, which you should already have in the ZoneAlarm logs, give him a link to your IP. Then check ZOneAlarm for an "intrusion attempt" on port 80, HTTP.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

As far as I know, without cooperation of the attacker's ISP, you will not be able to track down the attacker. All you can do is check his IP and approximate his geographic location. But expect no name.

newbie>> how can we get to know the geographic location of a person if we know his ip address?
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

There are tools on the internet (just google for it) that let you enter the IP and give you the longitude/latitude belonging to it. I have not tried it excessively, so I do not know if it works for all IP's. Guess not.
    I think it works because IP's are assigned geographically and one can say which country got which addresses.
    try the following URL: http://cello.cs.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/slamm/ip2ll/

newbie, that did'nt worked for me. i tried some ip addresses, but that script failed to find the geographic location of all of them.

I think, i should do some 'google'ing now
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

tracing programs will only give you the location of the ISP, not the location of the user. If that person really is trying to hack you, you can contact the ISP (preferably by phone) and send them all the info you can provide about the hack attempts.

I am pretty sure they will never give you the name and adress of the user but if they aren't total idiots, they will begin monitoring what he is doing with his connection and maybe interrupt his account if he keeps at it.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

A good visual trace program is NeoTrace, by NeoWorx and McAfee, which can be found at www.neoworx.com. To get a crack for it goto www.cracks.am