Com 3 problem on Win 2000

Thread: Com 3 problem on Win 2000

Banned

Com 3 problem on Win 2000

Having a problem with Multicommunications Port (com 3) on a windows 2000 machine.

Device Manager is telling Error Code 10 (this device can not start). There is the usual yellow warning sign next to it. Also on the Resource tab it says "this device isn't using any resources because there is a problem".

I have changed around the IRQ's and practically everything else and no luck. I'm trying to hook a fax up to the PC. Can I uninstall the port and reinstall it? What do I need to reinstall the port cause I noticed I can remove the port in Add/Remove programs. Do I need the motherboard driver or are the Com port drivers on the Win 2000 disk?

What devices usually use Com 1 and Com 2?

Getting pissed at this point.

The Iceman Cometh
    What sort of fax are you trying to hook up to your computer? Most external faxes plug into the computer via Parallel (LPT) ports, not serial ports. COM1 and COM2 are generally reserved for the external Serial ports on your computer. Other COM ports are generally part of other hardware such as modems (typically COM3 or COM5). If you're attaching an external fax, you don't need COM3 for it. If anything, you'll need either a USB port or an available Parallel port (depending on what sort of connection it has). I've personally never seen a Serial fax...

AJ

you can remove the com ports and they'll just be reinstalled on the next reboot, but i agree with adven. what exactly are you doing?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Okidata faxes 5980 and 5650 and they use a confusing Com-Redirector software. I guess I will uninstall the software and the com port and reboot and do a fresh install. I think that is my best option because It seems like it wants to install on this port and I am having a problem with it.

What do you guys think?

This is probable a dumb question, but, as you logged on as an administrator?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Yes I am. I uninstalled Com 3. Then I rebooted and in device manager it was not there. Do I need to install the drivers for it? And if so, are they on the motherboard disk or the operating system?

The Iceman Cometh
    If it uses COM redirection software, the drivers necessary to enabled COM3 should be included with the software. Such redirection is available through creating a virtual COM3. Therefore, drivers for your motherboard or other hardware will now allow you to create the port. I recommend uninstalling the software completely, removing any and all drivers for the fax machine and turn off the computer. Once it's turned off, unplug the fax machine and restart the computer. Install the necessary software and once again turn off the computer. Finally, plug the fax back in and turn the computer back on. It should reinstall the drivers for the fax and the software should have created the virtual COM port for you. If that doesn't work, try the support pages for the particular fax.

AJ

Banned
    Thanks adven. Worked like a charm. The software had an OKidata Fax port that I had to install and it acts as com 3. Thanks again....