Thread: Hollywood cracks down campus pirates

Hollywood cracks down campus pirates

Hollywood cracks down campus pirates

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-961637.html

In a letter sent to more than 2,000 university presidents, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and other copyright owner trade groups told university officials that large numbers of students were using college resources to violate federal law.

This time around, the movie and recording trade groups have weighty allies in their approach to the universities. In preparation for the new campaign, they recently met with a group of university presidents and education trade group officials to make their concerns known.

A coalition of six higher education trade groups is now sending its own letter to universities, asking them to take the copyright holders' concerns seriously, although it stops short of advocating specific policies.

The end of an era?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Old Fart
    Yeah, get ready for an influx (I've already noticed a couple) of newbies asking how to get around ports being blocked. Standard answer: Get a dialup account.

The corporate monkeys are going to use every trick that they can muster to keep their money tree frm being cut down, including using every legal slight-of-hand they can dream up. The trhreat of litigation will probably be all it takes to get all the .edu's to jump in line for them.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

yea, my univ. has already messed with the network to make it harder to browse the shares of other people who dont live in the same dorm as you. now you gotta go and do a whole network scan just to figure out where all the PC's are in order to browse their shares(or have your friend send you their IP).

quite annoying as thats what i used to do when i was bored and now i only have like 15 PC's to go through, 9 of which are XP boxes with some wierd password protetection(gateway or dell or something must have started doing this by default).

my personal feelings are that filesharing on campus is FAR from over, with utilities like HTTPort available.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

end of an era?

you cant stop people from being 0day kiddies. its part of going to university and growing up to become some 1337 siteop. Seriously though, this is just another media hype, piracy will be around forever and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

I was begining to wonder when these groups were going to start giving the Universities ****. Suprised it didn't happen sooner.
    what is love but contempt for hate?

There are ways around everything. After Napster got screwed more file sharing utilities came out then ever before. All this is going to do is piss some people off, which will lead to more hacking. At my college, our telnet ports and any port above 6500 is blocked. Yet, we've learned some simple tricks to get around that. The bad part is these tricks take up even more server time, so our school networks run slow as a commadore64. Some people have even started to sign up with other ISP's, instead of the campus service. If school's lose money from blocking people, they won't be doing it for long.

They cant stop people from doing this they can only hope to slow it down.I dont think this is going to stop anytime soon.....but only time will tell.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

They have done this at the university near me too. Some people are using the old sneeker net thing again. With a large slave drive, just hook it up on someone elses computer and xfer files at will. My buddy has done this and he gets many more now than he did from searching for which songs he wanted. Now, he gets them all and searches his drive when we wants to listen. Chances are with 10000+ songs that it is going to be there.

Think... all you have to do is hook it up. Start your xfer and go to dinner or a party or play the slots. Much easier than searching for individual artists and songs and waiting in the queue. Granite you won't get much new stuff... but 80% of the new stuff sucks anyway! In one night you get about 100-200 songs over the network. Direct connection you get 5000+ songs in like 3-4 hrs.3

You just have to make sure that you run a good virus scan after you hook it back up before playing the new media.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Old Fart
    Heh....I just found this (it's hilarious) and had to post it. It's called "How to fail in ebusiness with a record effort". If anyone out there knows Hilary Rosen or some other member of the RIAA, please send them the link below...

http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...0021010/TWKAPI
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

AllenB: You have found it! This says it all!

I can't believe that this has gone this far. They are wasting so much money and putting good companies out of business because they can't keep up with the cost of the lawyers and court costs. There are tons of artists out there that don't agree with the RIAA. They have been screwed over time and time again by the RIAA and the RIAA argues they are doing it for the artists.

I think the reason their sales are down is:

A. ~$18.00 for 3 songs that you want to listen to is way too much. There might be a dozen cds that I actually like and listen to all the tracks on a cd.

B. The economy isn't doing all that great. Think that might have some effect on their sales?
    I for one am saving my money to buy a house while the rates are still down.

C. Todays music sucks. I can't stand 2/3rds of the new crap that they have come out with.
    I buy more older music than anything today.

I can't wait till all this stupid **** is over. Its absolutely crazy!

Don't know if anyone is interested in reading the letter(s) that were sent to the universities.

If you are they can be found here.

They are in PDF format towards the bottom of the page.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.