Thread: Human Development Reports

Banned

Post Human Development Reports

I came across the Human Development Reports-site today.

Here's the 1999 ranks for the Human Development Index.

HDI: A composite index measuring average achievement in three basic dimensions of human development—a long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living.
    The Ranking
    1 Norway

2 Australia

3 Canada

4 Sweden

5 Belgium

6 United States

7 Iceland

8 Netherlands

9 Japan

10 Finland
    Here's a list linking to the top-ranked countries, divided by indicator.

If you ever think about moving, make sure you move to one of those ten countries

While you're at it, make sure to check the indicators of the bottom-ranked (African) countries. Makes one realize how happy most of us should be...

I don't view big differences between Belgium and France or another west European countries. So, why Belgium is in the ten list and not its neighbour?

I think we can speak french in Belgium, it will make my migration easier
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Thanks Neg
    107 South Africa
    I love my country problems and all so i will stay
    Regards
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

We should deport our dumbass Canadian Prime Minister to Norway to decrease their Knowledge ratio and finally have the First Spot!
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

I think you could safely avoid all the countries on the list after the first 110 or so - round the 130 mark you are talking about less coutries than war-zones. I for one find it vaguely sad and disturbing that we as a society (ie the people at the top of the list) can dispationately quantify the inequalities in this world into a neat little point scale. But like titanmike said, everybody has to live somewhere, and there but by the grace of God go I. We have a family toast (for xmas and the like) which I think is appropriate here:
    To those less fortunate than ourselves...
    I look forward to the day when all nations on that list can all be 0.9something.
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

im just glad to be amoungst such good company!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

As much as I love and admire this country, I can't believe the USA actually made it to the top ten. To see it there is somewhat of a shock, but a nice surprise.

::Chelle::