Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 for dual boot on an XP box

Assalamuailakum,

Hello SolidPez. yes i recommend installing the bootloader on the mbr, thats better..and will be made easier for you.
    well, no much difference between LILO and GRUB, its just that GRU is nicer and more friendly to use, for a Leaner..dont get me wrong, LILO is also friendly ,,,,but hey GRUB ):
    ))::

during the redhat installation process there is a Partioning section. It asks if I want redhat to automatically partion my free space, use fdisk for partion, or use (something else which i don't remember but it wasn't the right option for me).

I have already created the partions (root partion and swap partions) for linux with Partion Magic. So how can I get by this screen if all of the options don't apply to me? Thanks

Also, should I make the linux partion ext2 or ext3?

Someone said I should only have two linux partions a root and swap, but somone else said I needed three, a boot partion (very small), root partion, and swap. Who is right?

Thanks again.

Solid,
    one thing I don`t think anyone here has mentioned - make an xp recovery / boot diskette! you also get the option to make a linux boot disk while you install - do this.
    that way if any thing goes wrong with the MBR you can boot an repair it. also consider a home partition - not required but it`ll help keep your system neat and tidy.

When it comes to your boot loader, i kinda reccomend GRUB, (for me at least) its alot easier to work w/, n' Partition Magic isn't bad but FDISK is pretty much the closest thing out there to a standard from what I've seen, it'll probably be alot safer to use than Partition Magic even though I have a friend that has used Partition Magic and never had any problems. But, to each his own, I can only make reccomendations for u

And...as far as I know you only need two partitions for linux man, just the swap and the root. Btw, it may be a good idea to make ur swap partition as large as how much RAM u have man. Just a thought

Thanks for the replies alan and aut0.

Anyone else have any input on the situation posted in my previous post?

Well both are right..

With modern biosses you can have a bootable partition anywhere.. that didn't use to be like that..

in that time you realy needed a small boot partition (under the 1024 cylinder of the disk I believe) mounted as /boot for the bios to be able to find the parts of your kernel needed to boot linux..

Nowadays you can do with two (root (/) and swap) since the bios can find stuff anywhere on the disk..

but useing a sepperate /home (if you got a lot of users) or other partitions is recommended to easily manage diskspace.
    especialy on a server with lots of users..

for normal home use on a hdd of more then 2 Gb that's not realy nessecary..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

er0k
    Originally posted here by SolidPez
    during the redhat installation process there is a Partioning section. It asks if I want redhat to automatically partion my free space, use fdisk for partion, or use (something else which i don't remember but it wasn't the right option for me).

I have already created the partions (root partion and swap partions) for linux with Partion Magic. So how can I get by this screen if all of the options don't apply to me? Thanks

Also, should I make the linux partion ext2 or ext3?

Someone said I should only have two linux partions a root and swap, but somone else said I needed three, a boot partion (very small), root partion, and swap. Who is right?

Thanks again.
    partition with disk druid. itll give you that option. that way you can allocate your partitions how you please. yes install it on the mbr. (GRUB) id advise.

ext2 and ext3 isn't realy a question..
    ext3 is a journal (layer) on ext2 and is totaly backwards compatible (you can mount an ext3 partition as ext2)
    if your kernel supports ext3 you could turn your existing ext2 partition into ext3 wth a simple command

tune2fs -j /dev/hda1 (if the partition is hda1 that is)

you can also set howmany times you'd like to reboot befor your partitionis checked by useing the -c option (or type tune2fs --help for more info)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    lilo (linux loader) and GRUB (Grand Unified Boot Loader) are essentially the same. GRUB was made to replace lilo, but many still prefer lilo.

For your first time doing linux, I would just stick to two partitions.

[list=1][*]swap (2 *'s the RAM size)[*]/ (root)[/list=1]

That is all you need to get linux running. Once you learn it furthur you can go back and change around its partitions. You'll prolly end up reinstalling anyways, cause usually newbies will end up trashing the file system. Heh... Don't worry, we all did that.

Thats about it really.. Oh and its called disk druid.. heh..

any more questions let us know.

Is it ok to delete the empty 'Recycler' files inside the new partions that partion magic creates after it makes a partion?