Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 for dual boot on an XP box

^^ Anyone with experience in Partion Magic? ^^

Take a look at my question before this...

I have to get into the BIOS settings to change the boot order on my system so that I can boot the redhat install disk. However, there is no "press F1 to enter bios settings" or "press del...."...etc....On startup it goes to a black screen with info on my devices, but there isn't anything telling me to press a button to enter bios setting, so I'm not sure how to enter my bios. This is a p4 sony viao if that helps.

any other way I change change the boot order so my cd-rom drive gets checked for bootable media before the harddrive is booted from?

Also, in partion magic I did not specify my linux partions to be ext 2, partion magic made them ntfs by default. Is this a problem? WIll linux recognize these partions as ext 2 and swap partion? Or will I have to somehow change the partions from ntsf to ext2 and swap? Thanks a lot.

On a side note: What is the shutdown and reboot commands in Linux? =P

I think you should try "F" button (try F1 to F12) to set your bios(when you turn on your laptop you will see that "F" in your screen..so better look carefully..what "F"(F12 or any F) in your laptop,some times that "F" sign flicked very fast(my one is very fast....so I have to get hurry to press my F12 button ..otherwise I just see black screen). My laptop have F12 to setup bios setting.
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

You might want to have a look at my tutorials on partitioning and Linux filesystems for the answers to some of your questions.

Like xmaddness said, swap and / is probably OK for your first install, but once you get to the point where you plan on doing some work with it I would partition it a little more sensibly.

WIll linux recognize these partions as ext 2 and swap partion?
    No, you will need to format them during installation.
    What is the shutdown and reboot commands in Linux? =P
    Ummmmm.... shutdown and reboot.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

No, you will need to format them during installation.
    Is this easy to do and straight forward?

My sony Vaio Laptop uses F2 to get to the Bios, also
    Is this easy to do and straight forward?
    Yes just make sure the partitions you format are the ones you want to use for linux (not the ones holding all your backed up data or XP, if you get confused by the names check the sizes )

If you are still worried about what you are doing
    1. Back up all your data to CD
    2. Bite the Bullet
    3. Do it!

We have all messed up a Dual boot install before but its the preparation you make before hand that gets you out of the $h!t.

Even if it all goes wrong you`ll learn something new

Thanks your input, the bios issue has been resolved.

Was looking at Er0k's post on the first page and I'm wondering if I have to make these to new partions for linux's primary slaves. Would this faulter the installation process, is it ok if these are logical partions?

Whoops! better let this thread die before I get banned. I should have known better than to ask newbie questions in a NEWBIE forum. If anyone can answer the question above please pm so the neggers don't get their panties in a bunch.

Thumbs up you are right

hey man , it seems like that you experienced that subject and you dont need any help

just partiotion your hard drive to make 7 gigas free for linux . when you start installation the "disk druid " will began .it is so easy to determine where you want the linux os to be installed . but the thing you forgot is making the swap space in the partition you made .

that's all
    linux now is so user-friendly