Windows XP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP

Exclamation Windows XP

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-200

This proves, once and for all, No, you cannot circumvent the Windows XP product activation sequence. Sorry to burst your collective bubble, guys and girls.

I have a valid copy of Windows XP but I have read otherwise about not being able to bypass the activation..

Here is the news story I read.

Poking Holes in Microsoft's Copy Protection

Microsot found out that the program in mention was circulating and built in yet more copy protection into SP1.

Again, people bypassed this by manipulating the registry I think. I may be wrong abou this one.

Apparently, with a few tweaks, they are able to install the latest updates that M$ tried to prevent.

This is too much trouble for me...

If I wanted to bypass it... I'd just try to get a hold of an enterprise edition. You don't need keys or activation with those versions.

I'm not sure if they made one of those for XP, but I'm sure they would for ghosting purposes.
    If they didn't people wouldn't upgrade from 2k. I know for a fact that my school didn't go around and do fresh installs on each one of the machines... they used ghost. This means that there has to be an enterprise version floating around somewhere.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

As an ex employee of MS i can tell you that there are copies of XP that does not need product activation keys !

Some MSDN distributions and Selectware for example !

not that i condone piracy in anyway but there are plenty of copies floating about that dont require product activation !
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80

If I wanted to bypass it... I'd just try to get a hold of an enterprise edition. You don't need keys or activation with those versions.

I'm not sure if they made one of those for XP, but I'm sure they would for ghosting purposes.
    If they didn't people wouldn't upgrade from 2k. I know for a fact that my school didn't go around and do fresh installs on each one of the machines... they used ghost. This means that there has to be an enterprise version floating around somewhere.
    Yeah....the enterprise copy sent to Dell is probably the most widely pirated copy of XP around...M$ used SP1 to disable this particular copy, but it's already been cracked and a key generator is floating around specifically for that reason.

Bottom line: Activation is a huge pain in the ass, and it can be overcome, although it is illegal to do so.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    may microsuck die of testicular cancer and fall over in the massive pile of horse $h!t that its been shoveling. :|

This proves, once and for all, No, you cannot circumvent the Windows XP product activation sequence. Sorry to burst your collective bubble, guys and girls.
    Hm thatís odd because Iím typing this on a pirated version of xp right now. I know its wrong but I also know that I don't care enough to spend the $500 Canadian it would cost me for xp pro. Not to mention that thatís only for one computer. To bad Linux still has away to go before I can abandon windows.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

What upsets me about the whole thing is that I had to spend $200 for windows XP and I am only allowed to install it on one of my computers at home. It's actually forced me to install linux on more computers then I would have liked.

[QUOTE]
    Hm thatís odd because Iím typing this on a pirated version of xp right now

I dont think it is wise to announce you are using a pirated copy of anything, maybe you should edit your post and say you are using a backup copy of your licenced version. !

just an idea !
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Beh..

I guess I stand corrected then. Oh well, it was a good conversation.

Originally posted here by aut0psy
    may microsuck die of testicular cancer and fall over in the massive pile of horse $h!t that its been shoveling. :|

See, Microsoft isn't that bad. Now, I know I might be flamed for this, but think about it. Where would the industry be today without microsoft? What are more than half the world's computers using? Microsoft. I don't like them to much as Im partial to Linux, but I give them credit for what they have done. Yes, their security and products can be garbage at most times, but look at the contributions they have made. And to aut0psy, saying it that blunt isn't smart, nor is it thoughtful at all.
    Space For Rent.. =]