Predicament
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predicament

Unhappy Predicament

Hey Everyone, I have a bit of a predicament for you to solve :

We have two garages in our house,
    Both of the cables snapped on the same day, when they were locked,
    So we can't get in.
    The Electrical Stuff (Swithchboard etc.) is in the garage.
    A light bulb died (ran out) and that tripped the electricity,
    We now have no lights working in the downstairs of our house!

Attatched is a picture of how the lock works, theres no point using a lock-pick or anything, as the wire has snapped-

Any ideas on how I could get in?

Thanks a lot.
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

Banned
    this is usually where I can contribute seeing as how i grew up picking locks and pockets, i'm usually pretty decent at this stuff but....damn man that's some seriously bad luck heh. Sorry to hear about it, and i'm also sorry to say that right now i can't really help you with it if i was actually there i could w/o a doubt find a way in within half an hour, probably less but unfortunately man i can't help ya out. sorry 2 hear bout that prankster

TechieChick
    Uh..yeah.

No offense but this seems a bit far fetched to me. You don't have inside access from the house to the garage? Most garages I've run across, including my two (one attached) has seperate entrances, the attached into the house and the detached has a seperate door.

Your electrical must really be terrible if one blown bulb blew fuses for the first floor.
    If fusebox etc is in the garage it would seem that you'd have a entrance in from the house. If not, well...that's a really bad design then, having to leave the house, open up electric garage door and access the electrical panel that you can't get to becouse the doors won't open when there is no power. (Electric garage doors have a release on them so you can operate them manually in the event of power failure. Sadly this is only available from the inside) I know you said BOTH cables snapped but..hrmmm...

If you're telling the truth you've got one big bullseye on your butt..

Sure you didn't have a fight with the wife and you're trying to get back in the house or something?

Sorry to say Prankster, I agree with TC -- but then again, we security folk tend to be suspicious of everything. You should have another way in to the garage(s); at worst, a side window or something -- though when in-doubt, call a locksmith. And since when does a lightbulb "running out" take out an entire circuit, let alone an entire floor? It's really probably in your best-interest to call a professional on this... sure they'll charge you a bit, but in the end they'll do less damage than you probably will and, with any luck, they might cover any "unreasonable damage" that they do.

I really hate to say it, but TC's put this whole cynical picture of someone fighting with their spouse and getting their keys taken and the power to the garage door openers cut... not like I'd have any sort of direct experience with it or anything. ROFL
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

I too would have to agree with TC because their would have to be another way in and the electrical fuse would probably be able to fix it. If only one bulb blew out, then it shouldnt be a problem. But then again, Im not good at any of these things, nor am I an electrician.
    Space For Rent.. =]

why would anyone have electric locks that weren' accessibe from the outside with a key.

if its a cylanoid type lock, you might try placing a large coil close to it on the outside. it could trasfer enough power to the coils in the lock to pull the bolts in. But we donnt know how the lock works, your pic says nothing. how are the locking/unlocking mechanisms activated, when its working?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hey, It's not an electric lock! You turn the handle and the cable comes down pulling the bolt down letting you push the door open. No, we don't have any other access (window/door).

Thanks anyway, and BTW - this is true.

PS : I don't have a wife, I'm 16 years old.
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

TechieChick
    Then your parents need to call a professional in to assist as I have no other suggestions.

Sorry..

Order a portable hole from the ACME company...
    MEEP MEEP!!
    lol
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

if its wooden, then remove the molding that holds in the panels and crawl threw and open the door

if its not wooden then you might have to remove the frame around the door reach in with pry bars on both sides and puch the channel back enough to free the bolt, then force the door open enough to crawl under
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”