So where do I start

Thread: So where do I start

So where do I start

Hey,

I am new to this hacker thing and want to find a place where i can learn from the best. Anyone interested in showing someone the rope. I am a web designer and dont know much other than I just got a cable modem into my place and installed a firewall that tells me that people are always trying to hack into my system. Two things I want to know.

1. Ho do I track someone if I have their IP address to find out who is trying to hack into my machine?

2. How does one try to hack into another machine? Is their any software or what?

I am way ew to this stuff but am also WAY interested.

Thanks - by the way nothing malicious just plain curiosity.

- Envision

http://www.ryanandcaryn.com/portfolio/

read the FAQ

HI,

First of all welcome to the site you have certainly picked the best security site around.
    However make sure you read the FAQ as you should be clear about how to post and to phrase your questions etc.

just some friendly advice

this is not a hacking site as the media would term it but a security site. I fyou ask how to hack a machine or anything else along those lines you will just get flamed and get negative points.

make sure you look at past threads to see if your question has already been answered and also research your question on the internet first so you can make your question more informed etc.

make constructive and menaingful and mature posts.

hope this helps and hope you stick around and enjoy the site as much as everyone else here !

live well and love life
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Ans. 1. Do a search for reverse ip lookup on google. Plug in the ip address, fire off an email to said ip's internet service provider and send the logs as well.
    Ans. 2. Yes.

Now a question for you, what firewall are you using?
    And BTW, your link needs to be redone. Did you say you were a web designer?
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Banned
    Though there are alot of nice whitehats & greyhats hanging aroung here, you must remember that this is a security site not a BBS.

MY advice is to never call yourself a "HACKER" intil you've atleast learned small object oriented app. languages. Oh... and by the way, this post was cool intil you started asking how to gain root and what tools to use.

P.S. it might also help to go to google or read a book atleast once in your life.

First of all, welcome to AO! As a web designer, you can really contribute in the AO "Web Development" Forums. Your site looks good (would have been better if it loaded faster... ).

As others have said above, search the forums, look out in google, read some books, and keep on learning. In this field, one should constantly learn new things, new technologies, and should be aware of the latest in the tech world. Before you try to get into a machine, I again say LEARN, LEARN & LEARN. Using scripts / tools is considered lame, and is work of those 12-13 yr old script kiddies. So avoid them as far as you can.

Hope this helps.
    Manpreet
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

Hello guys....
    can any one help me out... actually I am in search of Softice for Win2k Pro. Does any one know from where I can get it downloaded...

Thanks in advance

bye

Hi mom!
    You're a little out of place here, processingspeed. Just a little.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I know Guus ..
    but its a matter of help...... can we have that link....
    bye

Hi mom!
    Sure, glad to be of assistance. Here you go: http://www.compuware.com/products/dr...e/?softnews.ro

If you seriously was expecting another type of link, I suggest you read the F.A.Q. of this site thoroughly.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.