Sun's Java Programmer certification

Thread: Sun's Java Programmer certification

Ninja Code Monkey
    Washington State

Smile Sun's Java Programmer certification

I was looking into paths that I can take with java programming and am currently considering eventually going after the Java Programmer certification offered by Sun. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I've heard the testing format is different than offered by most other vendors (like microsoft) and that it is harder, is this true? Any suggestions?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I read the article talking about Java certification. I don't remember clearly, but it said it is pretty hard, and it requires thorough understanding of Java.
    Can I get out of this prison?
    Can I stay this prison forever?

I have taken and passed this test. I won't lie to you, it is a very difficult test to take and pass on the first try.

If you are serious about getting the certification then I would recommend this book. It covers both the Sun Certified Java Programmer and Sun Certified Java Developer tests and includes a cd with three mock exams on it.

If you want some help there is a great community located at . The people there are extremely supportive and helpful and there is a great applet that they have online that helps you hone your general java knowledge.

The test itself costs $150. When I took it you had up to a year after registering to actually take the test. If you want information on the test itself I recommend Sun's website at

If you do decide to take it I recommend that you take lots and lots of mock exams. The ones by Marcus Green are some of the best. They are very accurate and a little harder than the actual test. If you can pass them I would say that you are probably ready for the actual test.

Good Luck!