Thread: Biometrics anyone?

Biometrics anyone?

Just ran across this item on ThinkGeek. I thought if anyone here was doing a computer security project for school or if anyone wanted to just play around the basics of biometrics they might get a kick out of this:

USB Fingerprint Authentication Scanner

I haven't used the product myself, but would be interested in any reviews anyone has.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

that's awesome - i wonder how well it works (?)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Originally posted here by tampabay420
    that's awesome - i wonder how well it works (?)
    I'm wondering that myself. Unfortunately it's only available for Windows 98, Me, and 2000 so far. Maybe someone will rig up some Linux drivers soon.

I have 3 different units on my desk right now. I have been testing one of them for about a year. The technology is improving very fast. The first one was very clunky and only acted as a replacement for your password (you still had to enter you user name). I just got one that is built into a mouse and it has an option to identify the user as it authentcates. I will be installing it next week. They are very cool and so far they have been very reliable (in a clean office enviornment).
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

man i have been thinking of getting one do they work in xp pro?
    Ametuers get jail time Pros get jobs.

I would assume so. Works with 2000....probably will work with XP.

Is it possible to confuse the authenticator? Isn't it just a neural net? Just like face recognition software?
    I mean, what's stopping me from taking a picture of someone's finger and then putting it in the correct position to log in?

I haven't read too much about biometrics, sorry if I seem naive.

How much is a good,cheap fingerprint scanner?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Here's the one thing I would ask about those using fingerprint biometric authentication in general usage: have you tried putting your fingerprint on a piece of scotch tape and putting that on the reader?

Reports from earlier this year showed that many biometric tools are still lacking in some accuracy and I think the better combination of both "What you Know" Authentication (aka user/pass) and the "What you Are" Authentication (aka fingerprints, iris, ear shape, face recognition) is fair better than one methodology. The more combinations, the better the security.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I have tried to fool mine but have not been able to yet, yes I have tried tape, clay, etc. There is a thread that discusses a group that HAS been able to fool some but it wasn't easy.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ght=biometrics

The technology is improving at a rapid rate. Because of new regulations comming in healthcare we are experimenting with several different technologies including biometrics, etokens, certificates, etc. When we are closer to completing our testing I will post the info here.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

ive got the compaq one....only £20 from ebay (thats like $30 i think) works great i free like a secret agent when i logon to my pc lol