Thread: Cyber Terrorism

Cyber Terrorism

I'm sorry, but in my opinion...although it hasn't really kicked off yet, I think this is really going to get overlooked in the future and they're going to catch us with our pants down in this area. We're going to be too busy sweeping metal detectors over arabs at airports to even notice the computers behind the desk crashing...
    Just wanted to get the opinions of others on this subject

Threats of cyber terrorism are overblown, but will help increase security budgets to deal with other online threats, according to the head of security strategy at Hewlett-Packard(HP).

Speaking at the RSA Security conference in Paris, Ira Winkler, chief security strategist for HP, said terrorists have little interest in online attacks.Click Here

Hi mom!
    Of interest: US gouvernment sais cyber-crime is costing Billions: http://www.reuters.com/news_article....toryID=1572962
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

eek, one liner . But thx for puttin' that up, hopefully everyone else will find it as informative as I did. p.s. - one liner was referring to this post, not guus'! just wanted 2 make sure that was known

Hi mom!
    That's why I put it up
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Re: Cyber Terrorism

Originally posted here by aut0psy
    We're going to be too busy sweeping metal detectors over arabs at airports

Here's another one liner. Isn't that comment a little racist?

That was kind of my point, smart alec remark to the way Americans treat the Arabic population now after Sept. 11th, everyone suspects them. There's also been alot of senseless crime against Arab-Americans, and Muslims as well. I was jus' pointing out the ignorance that most Americans have towards things like this. Which is why we have such a huge issue with racism in our country. White people look at the media and w/o any direct exposure to minorities or any other group of people that is being negatively stereotyped, they assume that music videos, myths and stereotypes lead to intolerance to different cultures. I've heard of other people from other countries telling me about how alot of the people that they live around (neighboring countries, esp. European) that think that ironically while America is the melting pot, its also the most close minded country due to such ignorance. Ack, OK i'll shut up now n' quit ranting

Just what exactly is "cyberterrorism"? Perhaps someone could give me a definition. Thx in advance.
    And on arabs being treated like scum after Sep 11.... you should read this piece here....http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12081 . But I must say that arab "governments" are some of the most xenophobic out there.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

To me, cyberterrorism is basically when a radical group (i'm gonna use al qaeda as an example) such as al qaeda launches some form of cyber attack onto our country with intentions of causing detrimental affects on our country in some way shape or form, whether they're trying to hack the pentagon or simply crashing some guy named Ned's computer. Regardless of the target, its intentions are to cause harm to a specific body, or perhaps a network or group of individuals, governments, religions, or individuals. Like, if Al Qaeda were to somehow crash a water plant, a dam, our missile defense system, communication networks etc etc. I think (in my opinion) those would be classified as a cyber terorrist attack.

Cyberterrorism is just another possibility to damage our social and economic status. As our country becomes more and more dependent on these technologies, I believe it will become more attractive to a extreme group to try and take advantage on any security flaws we have. Hopefully, all us nerds can stay one step ahead.
    Condor