Thread: Continuing on 802.11.....

Computer Forensics

Continuing on 802.11.....

ok....after the last post...and having no one answer me, I figured I would try again.

The preferred method of securing 802.11 networks in a corporate environment is via EAP. Different companies implement it differently... Cisco using LEAP, M$ using PEAP....

I am looking into using EAP/TLS(SSL) via a RADIUS server to auth users into a wireless lan. Has anyone done this with a non-commercial package... (i.e. FreeRADIUS or other GNU/GPL software) if so, what platform is it running on, what was the setup like ?
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

BUMP !

i certainly am looking for other Ideas.. and certainly am interested in others experiences/comments..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I don't know that I entirely agree with you on that. Per Gartner more large companies are using a VPN inside their WLAN. We decided to go that route also and are very pleased with the results. I know this doesn't answer your direct question but will hopefully add some insight to securing WLAN.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Well, i designed wireless net for a bank and i used a tacacs++ serv + hardware encryption modules. The tacacs setrv was simply running on a nt4 box (which suked but that is all they would give me) i know that there are several free raduis package out there specially *nix. I'd recommand using a sun station for the load can get pretty hefty on the box for the aaa.
    also i did not use 802.11 compatible equip since at that time the wep was not available.

Hope that helps
    assembly.... digital dna ?

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted here by mmelby
    I don't know that I entirely agree with you on that. Per Gartner more large companies are using a VPN inside their WLAN. We decided to go that route also and are very pleased with the results. I know this doesn't answer your direct question but will hopefully add some insight to securing WLAN.
    I am sure they are, but not everyone has those monetary resources available to them. I am fully aware on methods of securing, but I don't have the funding for high end VPN equipment merely for a WLAN. I could use PPTP and IPSEC or some other combination for the poor mans VPN but, What I was looking at was the next best thing. i.e. radius for auth(EAP/TLS(TTLS if its ever past draft stage)) and a backend dbase using a dynamic, randomly generated wep key program, with mac filtering.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust