Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God just stumbled on us?

God just stumbled on us?

"The world has always had some strange views on how the world was formed. For some raving fanatics the explanation that God (a celestial being, I'm wondering if he is the only one) created the world with the snap of his finger. I believe in God, and yes, I am a christian. The formation of the world just seams like he stumbled upon it and life as a mistake. We only have a certain amount of elements that everything is made up of compounds of these. I was playing with with Lego's one night and I had a thought. Imaging God getting this huge set of atoms and molecules (you know these are elements, I hope) and played with them like Lego's. Seeing dinosaurs, (or their remains) brings to mind God( still extrememly intelligent and with the mind of a 7-9 yr old) playing with these elements in his room, and Armageddon (the astroids we think hit the Earth) is brought upon by his Mom pushing it all into his corner (this maybe goes to show God does have a body, made of what though?). It is easy to think of a 7 year old building a dinosaur isn't it? If God is a kid, he must have jparents. This brings about another huge block of questions but only one really stands out. If we worship god, we got this idea from him you see, he must worship someone or something. Scary thought I know. Anyway... Maybe he himself is atheist, could be or Maybe he worships his parents, in society of old I could see this but not now. Maybe he once worshiped his parents but now is turning atheist, if this is the case his life greatly influences ours. If you have any Ideas, add to this please."

This great piece of work mas written by a good friend of mine. He must have put alot of thought into this... But back to business, it says in the bible that God sees everything, if that is the case, Can he see into our bathrooms?

[glowpurple]Your friend is amazingly intellegent and writes very powerfully. I am not a Christian but I see his point of view. The statement that "God" was maybe just another Joe playing with toys, and his mom pushed them into a corner is so simple, yet so profound.[/glowpurple]

[gloworange]As a reply to your question, even though I've never read the bible, if "God" can see everything then he probably can see into our bathrooms and anywhere else he wants to.[/gloworange]

Yes. You sound so much like my friend. And yes, he does have a good point doesn't he.
    Everyone dies, but fortunatly for me, today is your day, not mine. :P

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    I have always thought of God as Hobbyist. You know, like the Universe and the cosmos are his playdow.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

I had a theory along those lines, except I went past the god we see into other gods. In other words, what if our god, who plays with molecular legos, worships another god, who plays with legos made of the compounds our god is made up of? What if this is a recurring process? If it is, where does it end? Or, does it end at all? Maybe it's an infinite cycle of more elaborate beings over inferior ones. This would explain, to a point, how Zeus, the supreme god of Greece, had a father.
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

It has always intrigued me that us humans constantly try to quantify "god" in terms of a physical person or type. Perhaps we do so because we are uncomfortable thinking in terms of the infinite, or maybe it makes god easier to understand and identify with.
    I think however, that, regardless of what religion you practice, trying to quantify your god in terms of physical standards will only take away from the true vastness and imensity that is god. Why can we not think of god in terms of feelings, like the feeling of love you feel when you are with that one special person, or the feeling of happiness when you realize that things are going to turn out alright.
    I think god is manifest through these feelings, and maybe, just maybe, that is what god is. The feelings of love, happiness, and well-being are imposible to describe to someone who has not experienced them, and, also, are different for everyone who experiences them...It is a subjective, unquantifiable prescence.
    Perhaps I am wrong. I cannot claim to know more about what god is than anyone else can, all I am trying to do is present an alternate viewpoint. And, for those of you who might be wondering, yes, I do practice religion, and I do follow a specific religious faith. What that faith is, however, is not important for this thread. If you want to know, send me a message, and I'll tell you.
    My $0.02

Ok, that is really deep man. It made me cry. Actually though, that is just to deep for me bshver.
    Everyone dies, but fortunatly for me, today is your day, not mine. :P

"a thousand years passed as god looked back up at the screen and clicked 'exit', and the universe ceased to exist. he then sighed, pondered for an age and clicked delete, and the universe never had existed."

Arthur C. Clarke, scientist, philosopher, writer.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

The opening post reminded me of a great many of my thoughts growing up. My favorite one of these was that God was a child that had thought us all into being, that we were really his bored imagination freeing itself from his classwork for a bit, and that we don't exist ouside the mind of God. That we are simply a figment of some child's imagination is truly interesting to me.

Then I grew up a bit and I realized all of the things that the early Jews had on the rest of the world. The whole thing about clean vs. unclean animals was really some of the first sanitation laws that we can find on record for any culture. The laws of Moses were some of the first codes of conduct out of ancient history, right in there with Hammarabi (probably got that spelling wrong). Then, I took the whole "eye for an eye" quote in the proper context and realized that it was a plea for forgiveness. Back in the day it was popular amongst the tribes to repay an act of violence with an action of greater magnitude, one quote out of Genesis notes a man as bragging about killing a man for knocking out a tooth. What I find is that careful reading of the Bible really shows just how unique of a situation the Jews had and how many innovations came out of their culture for how we live together today.

I really would suggest to anyone, believer or nonbeliever, to get a copy of the Bible and read through it. I was a big fence sitter (there is/ins't a God, he is/isn't Jesus, the Bible was/wasn't inspired) before I read the Bible. I thing that we owe it to ourselves to read through it to come to our own, individual decisions about it. To think for ourselves and arrive at our own, independent ideas should be the goal in all things. (And I know that anyone here is good at critical thinking skills).

Maybe he himself is atheist
    well then at least i could have some respect for the man.

The whole thing about clean vs. unclean animals was really some of the first sanitation laws that we can find on record for any culture.
    what could convince primitive man that eating a certain kind an animal was a sin? one of two things, a big, booming voice from the sky... or the fact that every person that eats that particular food in that particular fashion dies in a puddle of his own vomit.. both rather convincing, which one is more likely to have happened?

(in case you can't tell from this and earlier posts by me, i am an athiest... )

Let me just set the record strait, I don't hate religion or religious people. I just believe that humans have nearly evolved past the point that religious beliefs are necessary. Why is the only thing common to all human cultures is a belief in an afterlife, a supreme being, and spiritual retribution for lifetimes of sin? because humans are unique in their evolution, we have a primate brain, able to grasp such concepts as death, love, and emotional pain. at the same time as we can forsee our own demise intellectually, our psyche is incapable of grasping the concept of a time when we will lose conciousness forever. for this reason, we have a gap in our psyche which is filled by our imagination. as for the concept of god, it is someone to which we can attribute all which we are at first incapable of understanding. spiritual retribution, like above, motivation for not doing things that are not good for ourselfs or those around us. now that we are more technologically and socialogically advanced, religion becomes superfluous and can even stunt our technological growth by hammering in our minds that certain things interpereted by past generations as "impossible" or "playing god".

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin." - Cardinal Bellarmine, at the trial of Galileo in 1615.
    we are at a dangerous time in evolution between when we are capable through medical technology to keep those who would normally be phased out by the harsh mistress called natural selection alive and fully-functioning members of society and the ability to rid ourselves of these diseases through medical technology which is hindered by our own unwillingness to do so because of religious beliefs of our loudest and most annoying citizens. SHUT UP AND LET US CURE YOU, MR FALWELL.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)