Thread: Win98 Error

Win98 Boot Error

I have a Win98 machine that displays the following error on boot:

"during the last boot up, your system hung for an improper cpu frequency
    setting. your system is now working in safe mode. to optimize the system
    performance and reliability, make sure the cpu internal frequncey conforms to
    the specifications of your cpu.

cpu internal frequency 600mhz
    cpu frequency multiple 4.5x

cpu level 2 cache ecc check disabled
    processor serial number disabled
    os/2 on board memory > 64m disabled"

The user is not smart enough to change the bios settings so I was wondering what could be the issue? Even so, the machine is a 600mhz computer.

Were you trying to overclock the CPU? I had a similar error a couple of years ago when I was trying to overclock a Celeron. Somehow Windows detected what I was trying to do and refused to boot properly. I ended up running the CPU at it's intended multiplier and not overclocking to fix the problem.

Redbone: I did not try to overclock the machine. The user (who is not very tech savvy) told me about this error today and Ijust thought I would ask around before I went out to the remote office to check on the issue.

cpu internal frequency 600mhz
    cpu frequency multiple 4.5x
    Ok, this isn't exactly my field, but what the hell..... I'll take a shot in the dark.

Is that a 66Mhz or 100Mhz bus speed? The multiplier should be 9 for a 66Mhz and 6 for a 100Mhz, I would think. A 4.5 multiplier would make it a 300Mhz system as I understand the way these things work. Have you actually looked at the BIOS to see if any of that got changed, or did you just assume that the user wouldn't know how?
    The user is not smart enough to change the bios settings
    Never underestimate what the user can get into.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Problemchild: I have not looked at the computer yet, as it is at another site. I am going to go over there soon and see what the problem might be.

"Never underestimate what the user can get into. " I dont and that is why I am going to go over there to see what the problem might be.

Well it looks like the CPU is some sort of chip with a 133Mhz bus speed, in which case the BIOS message makes sense as 4.5 * 133 = 600. The 'safe mode' just means that the BIOS has reset to its default settings, and shouldn't affect the working of the PC.
    This could well be due to a dying battery on the motherboard, as this would cause the BIOS to scramble or forget its previous settings.

Open the box and look at the CPU

Overclocked CPU? I have seen a few bargain basement PC's that are sold as a certain speed but are really just overclocked.

It could also be a 600MHZ CPU that should be clocked at 6X100 but is incoreectly clocked at 4.5X133. (I believe this was mentioned above).

Your best bet at finding out what the problem is would be to physically inspect the CPU and determine what type it is and what the correct clock speed is.

Intel CPU's have markings on top something like 600/512/100 which indicates clock speed/cache/FSB.

Good luck...