Running AOL on Linux

Thread: Running AOL on Linux

Running AOL on Linux

I came across this article a month ago and just recently tested it out on mandrake 8.2.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04...24.shtml?tid=5

I first installed WineX onto my linux box with no issue. I then found an AOL 7.0 disk and attempted to install. Unfortunately I didn't have any luck. I looked every where for an older version of AOL but couldn't find one anywhere. I then realized I had an older copier of AOL on my Windows ME cd. So I popped it in and ran the following command "winex /mnt/cdrom/win9x/ols/aol/aol50us.exe" and it installed with no problem.

I was able to login, send and receive mail and go into chat rooms. The only thing that didn't work was the IE browser.

I don't know if this is a blessing or a curse for the linux community. Perhaps this will help bridge the gap between windows and linux for some people.

Nathan

I have a question... Whats the advantage of Linux? I mean is it better than windows? I ask this question because I've heard alot about Linux and I always ask myself what it is and what is the advantage...
    [glowpurple]LilDraganon the power of the @[/glowpurple]
    [glowpurple]I am the one who trains like a maniac to have the power to force his opponent body into the shape of a pretzel and gently pin him down to the mat so his mommy can come and cuttle him![/glowpurple]

can i ask you a question about aol on linux?

why????!?!??!?!

why the hell would you want to put aol on linux???? thats half the point of getting linux, to be secure, why would you put a virus like aol on it???

dont think aol is a virus? lets look at the facts, shall we?

1. Proliferates copies of itself indefinitely.
    2. corrupts and destroys data
    3. difficult to completely destroy.
    4. doesn't work adequately in linux.
    5. comes hidden in other programs. (winamp, icq, realplayer, all offer copies of AOL)

I have a question... Whats the advantage of Linux? I mean is it better than windows? I ask this question because I've heard alot about Linux and I always ask myself what it is and what is the advantage...
    more secure, more stable, more customizable, easier to program for, open source, (meaning it, and virtually all software written for it is free to download) any more questions?

thats like asking "whats the deal with sex, i mean is it better than masterbating? or what?"
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

LOL....why would ya ruin a perfectly good OS with AOL?

It's a gas!
    thats like asking "whats the deal with sex, i mean is it better than masterbating? or what?"
    LOL @ x acidreign x
    Well i havent been using Linux very long but since installing it, i havent had the need nor want to use my windoze box!

This OS may be a little intimidating to people making the transition from windoze but, guys believe me once youve installed Linux you wont go back!

Hail Linus!

Regards

r3b00+

hmmm, i could liken that to something (a car) that most of you from the US and everywhere else would have heard about, corvettes....

think of it this way, why buy a corvette and put a 4 cylinder in it, the same appliees here, linux is secure so why unsecure it

a corvette has power, why take the power away?

They have a version of AOL for Linux/BSD (not sure which one, prolly Linux)... It's for AOL employees, if you look hard enough maybe you can find it online-...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

They definatly already have a version of AIM for Linux. It sucks though. Use GAIM.

Gamera

To correct tampabay420, code name gamera started off internal but it was a project for a publicly release internet device. Once the GCT was release Observers.Net went public with all the GPL violations in the client itself and AOL / Gateway pulled the units all together.

The group I work with (Textbox Networks) extracted the client, InstantAOL, from the Gateway Connected Touchpad. Don't bother with Wine and WIN32 AOL, just check this out. The GCT was running Midori Linux and the client will install on just about any distro. iAOL supports modem / LAN connections

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/t...ar.gz?download

Gamera

To correct tampabay420, code name gamera started off internal but it was a project for a publicly release internet device. Once the GCT was release Observers.Net went public with all the GPL violations in the client itself and AOL / Gateway pulled the units all together.

The group I work with (Textbox Networks) extracted the client, InstantAOL, from the Gateway Connected Touchpad. Don't bother with Wine and WIN32 AOL, just check this out. The GCT was running Midori Linux and the client will install on just about any distro. iAOL supports modem / LAN connections

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/t...ar.gz?download