Thread: Firewall Question

Firewall Question

Okay, quick question guys. I've never thought about this before, but my g/f was wondering what was the best firewall. I told her that Tiny as far as I know is the best one, but she was curious as to if she put multiple firewalls on her machine if it they would interfere w/ each other, input on this question would be nice guys. Thx.

Hii,
    This has been discussed before ...dont forget to use the search the forums feature first, beofre you post!

I found something for you to help a little: look at this!
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...dual+firewalls

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...dual+firewalls
    This one is about which firewalls people are using. A lot of resepected members gave their input! Soo its an excellent thread to read ...

TASH

eek, thx didnt realize it had been discussed b4. Apologies to everyone and thx Tash

Heh.... No prob...

You know about the Forum Search feature on the Top Right Hand Corner of the antionline home page.

I will try to help you if you tell me what OS yo're using

Ninja Code Monkey
    Multiple firewalls on the same machine is kind of silly. It would be best to get one good one and learn how to configure it properly (outpost and tiny are both decent). Add on antivirus and possibly a host based ids system. Maybe a couple of scripts to check your logs (event/firewall/etc), maybe audit your user accounts, and periodic checks on resource usage...and send you mail when it finds something funny. Just schedule them to run however often as you see fit.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I have norton firewall and seems to be working fine. I dont know why you would need to firewalls. They might interfere like antivirus programs do.

Like Juridian said, one good firewall is enough. Two can be run together, if you really REALLY know how to get them configured. I have xp and that firewall had to be disabled before the one I installed would work right.

If you have xp, which you didn't say, you've already got a firewall that works pretty well for inbound traffic. It does nothing for outbound. Go with Tiny, Kerio, or Outpost. Sygate is a very good one, too.

I have always had the best luck with Zone Alarm.It has good GUI and excellent features.Try this one if you will.
    -N
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Banned
    Zonealarm is a great firewall to use