Thread: Openssl Query

Openssl Query

Im wondering if anyone could clear up the following for me.

I am trying to install the latest version of openssl on my RedHat 7.2 machine, and from the download page there are the latest versions of the following:

openssl-0.9.6g.tar.gz
    and
    openssl-engine-0.9.6g.tar.gz

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between the two?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Taken from their FAQ :

6. What is an 'engine' version?
    With version 0.9.6 OpenSSL was extended to interface to external crypto hardware. This was realized in a special release '0.9.6-engine'. With version 0.9.7 (not yet released) the changes were merged into the main development line, so that the special release is no longer necessary.

This is my source.

Hope this helps. Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Thanks chefer, much appreciated.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]