Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think I've been hacked

Exclamation I Think I've been hacked

Okay I don't want to jump to conclusions or anything but I was surfing the web for sandman comics. And desided to empty the trash I colud not do this because my computer said .trash in use, at first I didn't find this att all strange but then I desided to check my firewall logs just in case and they were all GONE! I'm running a virus scan on the system and checkin if anything is changed but sofar I've failed to find anything.
    Am I making any sense or do I just come out paranoid?
    If I was hacked how can i trace the intruder?
    Right now my only open connections are the one to internet and my messenger connection other than that ther's no trafic at all…

This is srange to me,
    what do you guys/girls think?
    Life Is Taking The Risk Of Enjoying IT!
    \"Java (ME)\"

Uhmm, making sense? Not exactly, but maybe you deleted a file and it's in the trash can, it's in use, so they won't let you delete it. Definitely run those scan's to make sure everything is okay though.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hmm, first off, do you have your firewall set to clear its logs at certain intervals? It is odd that you cant empty your trash, I've never heard of that happening before. A good suggestion would be to think back to the last piece of software you installed/downloaded, and try uninstalling it just to see if that had a hand in whats going on.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I have my firewall clearing the logs every monday at 1:25 (It's not monday nor 1.25)
    I was not deleting any files I was about to but the system just said .trash in use And I was not abble to empty it moments later about 30 sec ago it cleared just fine (I'm beginig to think this is irrelevant) and some files are also missing I have saved all the logs but even all the saved logs are gone
    I'm new to security but is it possible that wile I was trying to empty the trash someone was clearing my logfiles?
    \"Java (ME)\"

trojan!!

scan your system for trojans,i once had such problemo and it turned out to be a trojan ho.
    which could run from the recycle bin!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.-- Albert Einstein

Hackers have no real power- Just Unplug your computer.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

What firewall are you using?
    Download the Cleaner from http://www.moosoft.com/ .And see what it says.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I'm using the native unix firewall that ships with MACosX and have now checked for trojans and viruses found none.
    This is realy creeping me out because about 40 megs of files have been deleted (mainly school realted material) and I'm starting to suspect it's someone i know from school.
    Is it possible to do this and clear all logs? Or is there allways some trace left?
    \"Java (ME)\"

I would run an anti-spy promgram just in case... if you have been hacked he might have installed a key-logger etc.. on your system. (It's okay to be paranoid)
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

This is really strange but when I once was hacked, I just unplugged the modem and then pluged it again, this will remove the hacker from your computer unless he is using a trojan which reconnects when a a connection happens on your computer, u should also look for some anti-trojan program and run a scan to ensure that your computer is clean.

Theoboa