Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain Name, Help needed

Hi mom!

Question Domain Name, Help needed

Last week, I registered my first domain. Today, it became active, but, instead of redirecting the domain name to my IP, the domain name points to a HTML-frame, which in its turn points to my site.

If I do a whois-lookup on the name, it shows my personal name as registrant contact, administrative contact, and all other contacts as well. I was under the impression that I'm supposed to receive direct forwarding to my IP through the DNS, not through some .tk-like frame forwarding thingy... Was I wrong there?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Red face DNS

Hi There;

You have to have at least access to 2 DNS servers,
    usually the primary DNS is on your webserver, the secondary
    is a second maching someplace sometimes at a second location.

I personally have 4 DNS public IP servers, but all at the same location. (no flames!!)

Next you have to know about how to setup a DNS.
    I have set up 10 DNS servers 4 public IP addresses and 6 on
    private networks. Best way to learn is to is to look here
    at www.jhsoft.com and go here http://www.jhsoft.com/resources.htm

It is a start... I use both Linux and Windows based DNS servers,
    I personally like www.jhsoft.com DNS server for windows
    and my Linux is Bind using Cobalt Servers... pretty easy to run.

I hope this helps
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Hi mom!
    But isn't that exactly what I'm paying for? Shoudn't -they- provide that service to me?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I agree that is what they should be doing. When you register an IP you do not need to have your own DNS. You are registering your IP/Domain Name pair so that it can be resolved at their DNS.

Anyone with an IP,or set of IP's, can start their own DNS without registering it as long as it does not conflict with other domains. This is accomplished by adding it as a sub-domain and using your own DNS. You can also register a domain name and then control it and other sub-domains from your DNS.

Of course this does not sound like your situation. So I would contact the company you registered your Domain Name with and find out why they are not pointing your Domain Name to your registered IP directly rather than going through a redirector. It may be they put in the redirector during the interim period before you went live and just failed to remove it. It may be that you will have to work with them to correct the situation to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Hi mom!
    You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to SodaMoca5 again.
    Well, thanks anyways, that cleared things up for me

Guus what is the IP? I would like to see what you are reffering to for myself.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Since you registered the domain you should be able to set the primary and secondary DNS to whatever IP you choose. A lot of registers will host this dns entry for you, if your web page is opening up in a frame that means the DNS entry is pointing to a web server that is not yours and that server points to your page.

That seems assbackwards to me, I'd call them and figure out what's up.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

Hi mom!
    Scorp, all my personal information is in those DNS registers, so if you don't mind, I keep that address to myself, for now. I can live with rains of red ap's, rains of SMSses on my phone is something I'd rather avoid

Well, thanks all for the help, it's pretty clear to me now. One last question. Can a DNS entry point to a directory (f.e: 123.12.12.123/website/), or can it just point to an IP (123.12.12.123)?

A DNS entry can only point to an IP. No subdirectory.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Zoneedit

I registered a domain through register.com and had something very similiar happen. What I ended up having to do was move my DNS. It was not feasible to run my own DNS on my cable line at the time so I used zoneedit.

Zoneedit provides free DNS service. Check it out at www.zonedit.com.