performance tweaks

Thread: performance tweaks

performance tweaks

Hai everybody

I am giving here some operating system specific (i.e. windows 98, windows xp etc) performance tweaks and some which works on all windows platforms.

1) Quick startup to the Dos Mode:

If we want to start in DOS mode when you restart your system, usually we press
    F8 key when “starting windows” message appears on the screen. From this menu we choose “command prompt only” option. For the process to be faster, press “ALT+F5” when “starting windows” message appears on the screen.

2) Quick warm reboot in Windows 98/Me:

Normally if you choose “Restart” on the Shutdown menu, your computer will do the warm boot process (system will reboot and start from BIOS). To save the booting time, hold down the “SHIFT” key while clicking the “Yes” button after the selection of restart option in the shutdown menu.

3) Enabling DMA in Windows 98:

To do this,
    a) Right click MY Computer icon available over Desktop.
    b) Click on properties tab.
    c) Then click hardware tab.
    d) Then Device Manager.
    e) Then Disk drives.
    f) Then harddisk.
    g) Then again click on properties tab.
    h) Then settings tab and enable DMA by clicking that particular check box.
    i) Then click ok, ok and restart your system.

4) Creating a Permanent Swap File( optimizing the virtual memory settings) in Windows 98:

a) Right click “my computer”.
    b) Then click properties tab
    c) Then performance tab
    d) Then advanced settings
    e) Then virtual memory
    f) Then click the radio button, “let me specify my own settings” and do based on the following instructions.
    Harddisk: choose the drive in which you want your swap file or page file.

Note: choose the drive possibly you would not use frequently like a drive in which you keep your backup’s etc.

Minimum: This value should be around 1.5 times more than your physical RAM.
    Ex: for 64 MB RAM keep your value at around 96 in the particular box.

Maximum:
    Write the same value as that of minimum.

Ignore all warnings and click “ok” and restart your system for the settings to take place.
    5) Creating a Permanent Swap File( optimizing the virtual memory settings) in Windows XP:

a) Right click “my computer”.
    b) Then click properties tab.
    c) Then click advanced tab.
    d) Then click settings button in the performance section.
    e) Then click advanced tab.
    f) Then click change button in the virtual memory section.
    g) Then select the drive name in which you had installed your Windows XP operating system and and do based on the following instructions.

In the “Paging File size for the selected drive”

1) click ‘custom size’ radio button
    2) set the Initial size: This value should be around 1.5 times more than your physical RAM.
    Ex: for 64 MB RAM keep your value at around 96 in the particular box.
    3) Set the Maximum Size: Write the same value as that of minimum.

Ignore all warnings and click “ok” “ok” “ok” and restart your system for the settings to take place.

Bye for this time and meet you with more manuals in the future.

Please do let me know as to what you think of this manual. I would really appreciate any emails or praise or criticism.

Raghu Veer
    snerds@programmer.net

http://www.freewebs.com/securitynerds

To receive manuals, tutorials and many more written by Raghu Veer, and that of others on everything you ever dreamt of in your Inbox, join his mailing list by sending a blank email to: securitynerds-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Question huh?

Bye for this time and meet you with more manuals in the future.

Please do let me know as to what you think of this manual. I would really appreciate any emails or praise or criticism.

Raghu Veer
    snerds@programmer.net

http://www.freewebs.com/securitynerds

To receive manuals, tutorials and many more written by Raghu Veer, and that of others on everything you ever dreamt of in your Inbox, join his mailing list by sending a blank email to: securitynerds-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    I am not too sure what to make of this... Surley this is not what it looks like...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?