Thread: Getting Around IP forwarding...

Question Getting Around IP forwarding...

Okay heres the thing,

I'm working on a project were I was asked to retrieve some info about a target system. This is just basic information gathering such as OS and open ports and the services running. I'm not able to ping the computer so I'm assuming there is a firewall blocking it or the gateway system is not exepting them. When I port scan I have found a few open ports, including port 80. I do not get a webpage when punch the IP into the browser, rather I get a Page Cannot Be Found or something. I am able to telnet to the open ports but nothing is visible and then the connection times out or closes when I type a few things.

I think that I'm probably hitting a firewall or a gateway with IP forwarding. I've looked through all my books and done a bit of looking around but I cant find anything to with getting around IP forwarding.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or maybe a link to a file on it? I would really apriciate it...

I dont know , but if its a big network you could try to find other servers in that network ,

i use a proggie like http://www.neotrace.com to have some information, and it automaticly gves you the /WHOIS - results , with that information ( network name , admin etc..) you can easly get the other pc's from that network , that might not be connect trought that firewall , than just portscan those pc's , hope it helps....if i am wrong , tell me , i am still learning

greetz

Yeah a traceroute and a whois is one of the first things I did. I apriciate the help, but the ip isnt registered to a domain and the tracroute only got me about as far as the ISP I believe or possibly the firewall.

Anyone else?

One word on this topic: hping
    The firewall breachers first knife get it here: www.hping.org
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Thumbs up

Wow thats a pretty interesting tool. Doesnt nmap support most of those features though? Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.