anti virus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti virus

anti virus

could anyone please tell me as i am fairly new to this, is norton anti virus pro a decent protection on a home pc ?

Banned
    could anyone please tell me as i am fairly new to this, is norton anti virus pro a decent protection on a home pc ?

Nortons is a very good choice in anti virus software.

Personally I would go for something like Sophos anti-virus ( www.sophos.com ) if I was going to pay for one, other than that if you are using Windows why not try AVG ( www.grisoft.com ) , its free and has worked pretty well on my Windows machine.

Yeah, either that or Mcaffee. Remember, it's not just the software, you gotta keep up with updates, definitions, etc. Some software's do it for you, but you just need to remember to keep up with updates and downloading the newest version of your AV software.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I agree with UKnetSec, Sophos anti-virus is very good.
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

an antivirus is only as good as its updates if you keep it updated you shouldnt have any problems try and update once every two weeks and norton is a good antivirus program
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Norton is very easy to update. Just hit live update and it automaticaly dls and installs the Virus Definitions.

I totally agree with the constant update that some of you have said...but i just have one more comment on viruses...when you are on the net, just browse smartly...try to avoid messy sites which tend to screw up your comp and simply ignore any unusual promots that asks you to dnl something...and also ignore emails/emails with attachments from unknown email addresses...however, if you do usually get into situations like this because of your style of browsing, i recommend you to always partition your hard disk so that one partition's purpose is to hold useful programs and backups (i.e. important docs, ICQ, Winamp, Winzip, etc...) and reinstall every once in a while except the partition with the useful programs and backups. This is only my habit...all my friends say i'm crazy, reinstalling my system every month or so...but i think it's really useful and it keeps the system clean and fast, usually if i don't reinstall it for about 4 or 5 months and then do it...you can immediately see the difference...it's faster and smoother...but this is only because of my style of using my comp...if you are one of those who are really careful...you don't need to do that...

---"jam-es.

Norton is an exellant choice!

don't let these posts confuse you just get it and get it quick!

the only way you can go wrong here is if you hesitate threw indecision.

i use norton on the machines at work as well as for exchange, we get mail from all over with viruses i've never seen before and nothing has gotten threw. NOTHING!

i personally would have gone with sophos but the director was un-familiar with it.

You will not go wrong with Norton, get it install it and update it ASAP!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Norton used to be THE antivirus program .. that is no longer true, there are many to choose from.

The important thing, as mentioned above, is regular and frequent updates, especially if you use Outlook or Outlook Express for your email.

Best to get a progam that can be set to automatically updates at least once a week - it only takes a minute, but it'll give peace of mind.

See a selection of antivirus choices.

I've found EZ antivirus to be very user friendly - and a fair price, while AntiVir is free - I use it on one machine, and it's not let me down.