Changing operating systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing operating systems

Banned

Question Changing operating systems

I am currently running Windows XP and I want to try something different like Linux. Which would you choose to go with for a total newbie Mandrake Linux Standard Edition, or Suse Linux 8.0? Thanks

Linux Mandrake and Linux Redhat are good for newbies and people who have used Linux before, but If your a Linux newbie I would definitely go with one of those two, maybe Mandrake. If you need help with installation, pm me.
    Space For Rent.. =]

i would suggest installing caldera workstation for newbies
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Which would you choose to go with for a total newbie Mandrake Linux Standard Edition, or Suse Linux 8.0? Thanks"

Suse or Libranet. Libranet is a Debian woody based Distrubution it's the easiest Linux distrubution to install there is they charge for there latest version 2.7 but they do have a free 2.0 ISO you can download it's out of date but it can be updated with apt-get upgrade and some modifications new Kernel ect. When you buy they provide full support.
    If you want a bleeding edge system Mandrake is the one for you

Banned
    Either SuSe or Mandrake, whichever you choose, would be good for you and a good way to start off the "Linux-era" for you.

Banned
    caldera workstation
    I didnt realize how many different Linux operating systems their are. So I'll guess I will go with Suse 8.0 is there any thing I should know about before installing this like do I have to have a network card? Video card? Sound Card? Will I be able to access the internet with this new Operating systems? Help newbie lost!

caldera workstation
    I didnt realize how many different Linux operating systems their are. So I'll guess I will go with Suse 8.0 is there any thing I should know about before installing this like do I have to have a network card? Video card? Sound Card? Will I be able to access the internet with this new Operating systems? Help newbie lost! Thank you for the replys.

You do know with SuSE 8.0 you either have to use a 'Live Eval' runs off of cd, or they have one that will only install over a network and not from CD. If you want the full intstallable from cd version you have to buy it, not that its very expensive, just thought I would let you know. You can check out loads of different types of linux as www.linuxiso.org , give it a try

Most of the popular Linux distributions will support a lot of the common Video Cards etc, the main thing I have seen people have problems with is that Linux does not support WinModems. So if you have an internal modem it may be worth checking what type it is.

Originally posted here by David Skism
    I didnt realize how many different Linux operating systems their are.
    Hundreds or thousands

is there any thing I should know about before installing this like do I have to have a network card? Video card? Sound Card? Will I be able to access the internet with this new Operating systems? Help newbie lost!
    If you got a "normal" pc it will work, linux works on most hardware, only one thing to remember: no software modems, software modems (better known as winmodems) are a pain in the ass.. They don't work well with linux (hence the name winmodems).

Soundcards (even onboard) usualy work without a problem.

Videocards are sometimes difficult to install but SuSE 8.0 does a hell of a job outodetecting them, so if you haven't got a to "exotic" videocard it shouldn't be a problem.

Network cards are the best supported part of linux, so that wouldn't be a problem..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    do know with SuSE 8.0 you either have to use a 'Live Eval' runs off of cd, or they have one that will only install over a network

No I didn't know that thank you for the information. But I am not on a network I am directly connected to the internet from my home I want to have dual operating systems Suse for me Windows for the rest of the family. Thank you for the help

I didnt realize how many different Linux operating systems their are.
    103 active distributions, according to Distrowatch.

I recommend perusing that site for reviews and information about the various distributions, as well as looking at LinuxNewbie.org.

My personal recommendation is Red Hat 8.0, because Mandrake tends to be very buggy and SuSE requires a network installation unless you buy the boxed set. Red Hat's new Bluecurve interface is really very nice and should make you feel right at home quickly.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!