just a few words
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just a few words

just a few words

There’s some conversation going on lately on ways to improve the quality of the posting on this site, making it more computer/security oriented. Too many of the posts just pertain to general anything. Not that there’s anything wrong with general chit-chat but it would be nice to be able to do more sharing of knowledge.

We the members of AO are ourselves responsible for this.

Newbies come to this site and ask a simple question, only to get responses like RTFM of go search google. If a newbie asks a question pertaining to security he’s auto-banned after being accused of disreputable deeds. Then we complain of no technical conversation.

A simple question can turn into an in-depth discussion if it’s approached correctly and all can learn from it.

Discussions on intrusion, passwords or vulnerabilities do not have to be presented in a ‘teaching’ fashion. That would be against the rules but a lot can be said without creating script kiddies or newbie bashing at the other extreme

I suggest, that unless we have a blatant script kiddie, we have a serious (or lighthearted) discussion on the subject. If someone asks a simple question let us not chase him or her away, but rather do our best to help.

let me say that im as guilty as anyone and there are some here who do not offend anyone and try to help all,

I for one intend to do everything I can to make AO a more attractive place for people to come and learn and share knowledge. (I know, I know…then stop posting)

Thank You for letting me share
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

i agree Tedob i think a lot of people have been scared away if people ask about packetsniffing passwords exploits people always just jump to the conclusion that they are brakeing in to networks doesnt tools like JTR and various packetsniffers and exploits help a lot of of people secure there networks?
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

I agree as well, I've seen a few people scared away in a period of like a week. I think that each question, as you said, can turn into an extremely in-depth discussion. The only thing is, if we let it. We really should be trying to "combat" the kiddie behavior that has been going on with real Security Information based discussions. I've learned alot from AO and from what I've heard, people have learned from me. I want to help contribute and learn to this place, and having more technical discussion's and answering people's questions instead of chasing them, is a good way to help.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I agree with the idea and I agree with the fact that all of us, myself included, have to stop assuming everyone is out to cause trouble. But there are valid reasons why we have jumped to these conclusions.

Part of the problem is the fact that this site is promoted as a hacking site and many people don't have the correct definition of hacking. The world at large thinks hackers are malicious. A lot of people come to this site wanting to learn about malicious hacking. As a result we assume that they are up to no good.

I came to this site for that very reason, by a google search, and was turned around by the people here. In that respect I think we do need to get back to the basics of trying to enlighten people that come here that we are in fact a security site, capable of teaching and sharing infinte amounts of information.

I will try harder not to jump to conclusions, as it makes me a hypocrite and that is something I don't need to be, and to do for others what AO has done for me.

I think you bring up a good point. A simple question can grow into a great discussion. In defense of those who tell the person to RTFM or go to google. If you look at the question its usually the type, How do I hack my teacher's hotmail account and so forth.

My question is how far do you want to go in these discussions? Last week we had a good topic called how to hack winXP. A lot of good ideas were brought up but the post was suicidal due to the script kiddy nature of the posts.

Agreed, definitely. Maybe by taking out the metatags (Hacking, Hackers) less script kiddies will search google for Hacking and come here. But yeah, their are reasons to assume, but unless you have a blantant s'kiddie like Tedob1 said, try turning it into a real discussion that people can add to if they are knowledgeable in that specific subject. There is nothing like having a real "Hot" Topic where everyone add's something they know and keep the topic a really good one. If people add to it, and help out others, I'm sure we'd be proud to think, "Hey, I contributed to a great discussion, and I'm sure someone learned from it". I, myself, would be happy to have a HUGE topic where mostly EVERYONE add's something they know and/or can contribute. Sorry for the long post, but I do think this is a good Topic and one that we really need to look at.
    Space For Rent.. =]

detoxsmurf obviously if someone asks "How do i hack my teachers hotmail" s/he is a potentially dangerous kiddie. But is someone claiming to be a teacher asks how do i keep my hot mail from being hacked adn how is it done, comments like: don't leave your computer unattended any one can access your hot mail account from your computer due to the authentication process they use" gives them nothing but good advice, encourages others too give good advice. any one reading the posts will GET good advice and everyone learns and has a chance to share. Where as posts like: get lost, you just want too hack your teachers email, are just counter productive for this site.

Now im not saying NOT to get rid of SKs, we should all do what we want, freedom is paramount. All im saying is that im not going to assume they are SKs, but not give tips on breaking in at the same time, and offer this as a suggestion, in an attempt to better the quality of posts

maybe im wrong, but didn't that hack winXP thread go suicidal because of someone posting to that thread and not because of the thread starter or the nature of the thread? Or am I confusing that with another thread?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

This is really good "thread" Tedob1....I definitly agreed with you...
    Can't say no more...Really good read for anewbie like myself...
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I almost totally agree with you tedob1, but you have to admit brand new users who treat AO as if it were google, starting several threads a day asking 1 dimentional questions easily found already answered elsewhere, do not add to the quality of the posts here, and are a pain in the ass in general.

Oh, btw, how do you hack??
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

your right doktorf00bar there are those with absolutly no grasp of technology, and again, tell them off if you must, although IMO just ignoring them will make them go away and not discourage those that do have an understanding but have not posted before and would like to.

You hack something by learning it well enough to make it work FOR you!