linux formatting

Thread: linux formatting

linux formatting

I am new to the linux and i wana know that how can we format the harddisk, that has linux on it.

Is it that you don't have Linux installed yet and want to install it, or are you running Linux and want to add a new drive? If you're installing anew(which is what i suspect you mean) all newer, major, general-purpose distros take care of this stuff through point-and-click gui's. Otherwise, You are probably looking to use fdisk, which is the basic tool for higher-level formating(assigning partiation types) and partitioning. Provide more info and I'd be glad to assist you.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

thanx doktorf00bar , actuall i am running the linus and now i wana format the hard disk and the reinstall it. Please help me out.
    U get What U pay for.

insert the first (and/or only) dist of your linux distro.

boot from the CD and let the nice little wizzard guide you.

evry linux I've seen has a formatting function.

if you realy want to try to format a running linux, first read up on mke2fs..
    man mke2fs
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Yup
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Just thought I would throw in, if you're installing a new version of Linux onto a drive that already contains linux, you may want to run a program to wipe out the MBR. I have noticed in using RedHat 7.3, that it doesn't always wipe it clean by reformatting. I use a program called Mr. Clean before re-installing linux on a drive. Hope this maybe saves you some time.
    Condor

If you wanna format you C: drive as in delete your hard drive so you can reinstall another OS just go into UNIX (or ms dos if you told linux to use ms dos instead of unix i sure hope you didnt) and type the command format C: