Thread: vb winsock, custom packets

vb winsock, custom packets

does anyone know if you can send custom packets using mswinsock control in vb? if you can can you please give me some info on it.
    thanx trials
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

Hey, try planet-source-code.com if you haven't already....

I did some looking on the site, found this:
    http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...t=Alphabetical
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

cool thanx

Ive had alook on google and pscode but i couldnt find anything useful, has anyone else got any ideas thanx trials

Google didn't help? I don't believe it, but if it's the truth, so be it. You might want to search Yahoo or maybe try google another go and search for Winsock, VisualBasic Programming, VB Winsock, and anything that you are looking for. I might be able to help you with the problem myself, so if you want, Pm me with a little lengthy detail of exactly what you need. Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Three answers:

1. Yes
    As you can open a UDP socket, you can send any valid UDP packet with it, including "custom" packets.

2. No
    You can only send UDP packets, and cause TCP packets to be sent in a well-formed stream. You can't send badly formed packets or packets that are unsolicited parts of streams (such as those used in FIN scans etc)

winsock (win win9x and NT4) will only let you send TCP and UDP (and possibly IPX). In order to send things which aren't any of them, or are messed up in some other way, you'll need another method.

Win2k (possibly) or WinXP (perhaps) may allow you to send raw packets using something analogous to a unix RAW socket. I don't know anything about this, but I expect that it's no different from on unix (except you probably don't get the bpf interface)

3. Yes again

the windows ICMP library also lets you send some types of ICMP packets (notably echo) and listen for some types.

I have *NO IDEA* how this applies to VB - I think that generally you can't go around calling random functions in VB because it's too lame to let you. However, VB is also so painfully lame that attemping to code packet construction in it is so unspeakably unlikely it doesn't matter.

Obviously all of this applies to C/ C++. To the best of my knowledge the winsock control lets you access a subset of the winsock library's functionality, which is what I've described here.

why don't you try out a search on astalavista.net

Banned
    MSWinsock Control can ONLY send TCP/UDP packets. The packet structure you cannot change. But what you put into the packet is up to you.