Thread: windres resource compiler

windres resource compiler

Dev-C++, the Integrated Development Enviroment I use, comes with the GNU binutils, windres for the resource editor and Mingw32 for a 32 bit C/C++ compiler. My operating system is Windows, as windres is a resource compiler for windows that runs from the command line. Dev-CPP seems to have incorporated windres into the enviroment in such a way that you cant just turn it off and use your own resource compiler.

I am not at all happy with the syntax that windres uses, I have strugled hours trying to figure out why my programs would not compile and it all came down to windres not likeing my syntax.

As a result I found a replacement called gorc which is useualy used with the godevtools at www.godevtool.com for assembly programing, however since gorc is a stand alone command line resource compiler that can produce both res and coff object files, given a rc file, and has simple syntax, I would like to stop useing windres and start useing gorc

However I am more comfterable with a IDE, thats why I use dev-c++ so instead of useing DOS every time i want to compiule my rc file, it would be nice if I can have dev-c++ do it for me. I looked at the help files included, I even looked at project options, tool options and enviroment options, as well as devcpp.ini initialization file. I cant seem to figure out how I can stop devcpp from useing windres and use gorc instead.

I thought of replaceing windres.exe with gorc.exe since they both have nearly identical command line options, but this one command line switch, -O does not seem to be suported by gorc, instead gorc uses the smaller -o to spesify your object output and it by default produces res and coff files.

Does anyone know how I can make the switch from windres to gorc painlessly?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

windres resource compiler

Dev-C++, the Integrated Development Enviroment I use, comes with the GNU binutils, windres for the resource editor and Mingw32 for a 32 bit C/C++ compiler. My operating system is Windows, as windres is a resource compiler for windows that runs from the command line. Dev-CPP seems to have incorporated windres into the enviroment in such a way that you cant just turn it off and use your own resource compiler.

I am not at all happy with the syntax that windres uses, I have strugled hours trying to figure out why my programs would not compile and it all came down to windres not likeing my syntax.

As a result I found a replacement called gorc which is useualy used with the godevtools at www.godevtool.com for assembly programing, however since gorc is a stand alone command line resource compiler that can produce both res and coff object files, given a rc file, and has simple syntax, I would like to stop useing windres and start useing gorc

However I am more comfterable with a IDE, thats why I use dev-c++ so instead of useing DOS every time i want to compiule my rc file, it would be nice if I can have dev-c++ do it for me. I looked at the help files included, I even looked at project options, tool options and enviroment options, as well as devcpp.ini initialization file. I cant seem to figure out how I can stop devcpp from useing windres and use gorc instead.

I thought of replaceing windres.exe with gorc.exe since they both have nearly identical command line options, but this one command line switch, -O does not seem to be suported by gorc, instead gorc uses the smaller -o to spesify your object output and it by default produces res and coff files.

Does anyone know how I can make the switch from windres to gorc painlessly?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~