Resource File problem in Dev-Cpp

Thread: Resource File problem in Dev-Cpp

Resource File problem in Dev-Cpp

I am useing Dev-Cpp on Windows 98 SE. Useing some sample code to open a window in Win32 API, I try to add a resource file to draw my menu. My operating system is Window 98 SE, and this is a Win32 program:

Three files, first.c, first.h and first.rc are included in my project. first.h contains all my #defines. All function prototypes for user defined functions (my window process handlers) are defined in first.c, my main module. All compiles fine without the resource file, The program opens a window. I then added to my project a resource file.

In the resource file I had a menu, that was it. It worked when I created my window class I brought in my menu with

MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDR_MYMENU);

where IDR_MYMENU is the ID for my menu defined in first.rc and #defined in first.h

However, when I add the code for my dialog box, I get errors:

=======Compiler Log===========
    Building Makefile: "C:\My Documents\development\Makefile.win"
    Executing make clean
    rm -f first.o first_private.res first.exe
    gcc.exe -c first.c -o first.o -I"D:/DEVELOPMENT/DEV-CPP/include" -s -mwindows
    windres.exe -i FIRST_~1.RC -I rc -o first_private.res -O coff
    FIRST_~1.RC:4: first: No such file or directory
    windres.exe: first.rc:18: parse error
    make.exe: *** [first_private.res] Error 1
    Execution terminated

========Compile Log Ends here======

I did some google searching:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1999-08/msg00440.html

It apears the person posting in the URL above has a very simular problem. And this leads me to believe the problem is windres.exe

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem? Or has anyone else experienced this before?

The atachement contains all my project files.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

may be a parse error in your project file. check you dotted your "i"'s and crossed your "t"'s
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Im not very familiar with make files, or project files, as I have always used a Integrated Development Enviroment, rather then issueing the commands from DOS. Dev-C++ created the project file (first.dev)

However I have posibly discovered part of my problem being the fact I was useing Dev-C++ version 5 beta. I decided to un-install it, and download Version 4 instead since it has been fully tested and aproved. It came with a resource editor which Version 5 beta did not seem to have.

I have not tryed compileing it with version 4 yet, as I am trying to figure out the resource editor. One thing I did notice that might have been causeing the problem was, in version 4 there is a tutorial, following the tutorial, I got an error when trying to name my source code the same name as the project file. I will continue to play around with it untill I get it working properly.

In the above compiler log, I noticed that FIRST_!.RC is useing the DOS 8.3 File nameing convention, and is in Capital as well, contrary to the rest which is all small letters.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~