Cant connect to internet!

Thread: Cant connect to internet!

It's a gas!

Cant connect to internet!

Hi guys

I tried connecting last night but kept getting a message that it couldnt connect to server or something along those lines.
    I have two modems (h/w and s/w) which were both working fine the last time i connected.
    In network configuration the modem is sitting as active after dialing up but then when i try to entre my URL in any browser i get this message!

My g/f was playing about with my box, so she may have done something (of course she denies everything) but apart from that im totally lost as to what is wrong.

Any of you guys give me some things to try when i get home, so i can get this problems sorted?!?

Thanks in advance

r3b00+

Girlffriends are usually pretty good at messing up the proxy settings on the browser, suppose you have laready tried that one though. Have you tried to ping servers by IP address?? just curious to see if it might be a name resolution problem.

It's a gas!
    Havent tried pinging, was so mad with her i decided to sack it for the night!

She was in the terminal for some reason, the silly sod!
    And the best part is she doesnt even know how to open do simple functions on a windoze box, so why is she going pressing the up/down keys in the terminal and fking up my linux box!

Every time i think of it, aarrrrgggggggh!

Sorry, any more ideas guys!?!

r3b00+

if i have realized right you can dial the isp number using your modem and connect the isp with no prob, but you can not browse the web.
    there can be a lot of possibilities:
    1)your g/f has changed the internet options of your browser (things like proxy setting and ...)
    2)the browser was damaged (install it again)
    3)the isp has some problems(contact your isp)
    4)the operating system is damaged (especialy windows 9x)

without having more information about the problem i can not help much!
    (the first thing you might want to check is the internet options ,then ping the isp using
    command prompt if you got a reply it means that your isp is working .....)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol i think it will be a big help if u actually copy and paste the error message and show it to us. maybe then we can give u better results.

Or we could just keep guessing, but we could be here some time

He might find some girlfriend re-adjustment tools useful also lol

It's a gas!
    Yeah it seems to dial-up no problem and leave the modem active but no access to any sites.
    As i said im gonna ping the ISP and just go from there!

Thanx for the replies

r3b00+

edit: Ill get the exact error message for you guys when i get home, but it went something along the lines of server not found when i typed in any URL

I take it you have tried restarting your network? You can do this by rebooting or by the easier "service network restart".