Folding@home reports success

Thread: Folding@home reports success

Folding@home reports success

Folding@home Scientists Report First Distributed Computing Success
    As you read this sentence, millions of personal computers around the world are working overtime performing complex computations on their screensavers in the name of science. This growing Internet phenomenon, known as "distributed computing," is being used for everything from the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) to the design of new therapeutic drugs.

Now, for the first time, a distributed computing experiment has produced significant results that have been published in a scientific journal. Writing in the advanced online edition of Nature magazine, Stanford University scientists Christopher D. Snow and Vijay S. Pande describe how they with the help of 30,000 personal computers successfully simulated part of the complex folding process that a typical protein molecule undergoes to achieve its unique, three-dimensional shape. Their findings were confirmed in the laboratory of Houbi Nguyen and Martin Gruebele scientists from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign who co-authored the Nature study.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1022070813.htm

The first major result for a distributed-computing project - good work guys!

w00t! go team!
    http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=11416

we could still use more help.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Re: Folding@home reports success

It s nice to do something good for humanity!

You can still join TEAM-ANTIONLINE!
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

At least folding@home is for something useful.

IMHO SETI sucks.
    This doesn't want to be a flame, but, come on.
    It seems Fox Mulder is a lot faster than SETI, so why bother using our spare cpu cycles.
    Let's factorize HUGE number instead :P
    ilruffo at tin dot it
    http://ilruffo.kicks-ass.org
    I can\'t show you the truth. But I can learn you to see it yourself.

Re: Re: Folding@home reports success

Originally posted here by qwerty_smith
    w00t! go team! we could still use more help.
    That's true we have a good team but we would not suffer if we got some more members interested in folding. Even if it seems like Louie are doing a excelent job and should be a rawmodel for us all .

Originally posted here by kadeng
    It s nice to do something good for humanity! You can still join TEAM-ANTIONLINE!
    There is no registration or hard process to join Folding@home and Team AntiOnline. Download one of the clients and install it. Second step is to choose a nick-name in the config, if you wanna be sure that your nick is not already occupied go here and do a search. The third step is to add the numbers 11416 as team number and you are set to go.

~micael

Ninja Code Monkey
    Hrm...considering we can only view a small percentage of the sky at any one time, and only a small percentage of the radio bandwidth, and have only been broadcasting our own existence for less than a hundred years (in a universe that is possibly billions of years old and contains billions of stars that may have planets with life like our own) and the great distances involved......do you expect seti to move quickly?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Well, i guess i'm in, downloaded the FAH3Console, it asked for a username and team number, then finished downloading it's components, now it says "finished a frame (1) and finished a frame (2)" and it's still blinking in a DOS window...... Went back to the site and it didn't have my username but maybe it waits until it transfers some computations. We'll see. Anyway, it sounds like a mind-boggling project, hope we can help.
    All you AO'ers, get on up there and join, we could use some numbers!

Welcome .

Well, i guess i'm in, downloaded the FAH3Console, it asked for a username and team number, then finished downloading it's components, now it says "finished a frame (1) and finished a frame (2)" and it's still blinking in a DOS window......
    There are a nice GUI for the Console client. It can be found here.

...... Went back to the site and it didn't have my username but maybe it waits until it transfers some computations.
    That's correct.. The username shows up first when you have submitted the first results to f@h.

Many questions have been answered here and here, hopefully we will get some more new users who wants to fold with us other .

~micael