Thread: W32/Rodok-A or Henpeck worm more info

W32/Rodok-A or Henpeck worm more info

hello again poeple looks like the Rodok worm was written to stael game activation keys.So thats what the attatched trojan was for
    report from http://www.idgnet.co.nz/webhome.nsf/...256C51006E33AA!opendocument

Paul Roberts, San Francisco

A worm that spreads through Microsoft's MSN Messenger instant messaging program is circulating online, snatching product keys for popular PC games, according to an alert from antivirus maker Sophos.

If released on a computer, the worm opens a back door to the infected PC and sends out email messages containing the product keys for popular PC games such as Half-Life to an anonymous web-based email account, according to Sophos.

The new worm, dubbed "W32/Rodok-A" or "Henpeck" uses MSN Messenger to circulate a message enticing users into downloading and running an executable file named "BR2002.exe" from a remote website, according to Sophos.

The message reads, in part:

"Hey!! Could you please check out this program for me? I made it myself and want people to test it. Its a readme with the program that explains what it does!"

The threat posed by the new MSN worm was rated as "low" by most antivirus makers. Despite that, and the fact that there were few reports of users being infected by the new worm, many antivirus software makers posted updates to their software Wednesday and Thursday covering W32/Rodok-A (aka Henpeck).

PHONY PROGRAM
    As part of its infiltration, a link is provided in an instant message that points to the location of the worm on the internet. When users download and launch the program, the worm displays a phony CD key generating program. Behind the scenes, it connects back to the same web page from which it was downloaded, retrieves an updated version of itself, and attempts to download and place a so-called Trojan on the infected PC. The website containing the worm was offline early Friday, however.

Trojans are malicious programs often distributed by viruses. They allow the PC on which they reside to be used as part of a distributed denial of service attack orchestrated by a remote attacker.

The particular Trojan installed by the MSN worm is known as "BKDR_EVILBOT" and can be accessed and manipulated with commands transmitted using Internet Relay Chat, according to an alert posted on the web page of antivirus company Trend Micro.

In addition to opening a back door to the machine and installing updated versions of itself, the worm appears to search for and copy any product keys for games that are installed on the infected machine. Among the games it searches for is Half-Life by Sierra Entertainment, according to Sophos. Any product keys the worm discovers are sent by email to an anonymous Hotmail account, where the virus author can presumably retrieve them.
    looks like this nasty piece of software had a purpose other than destruction

For users who have been infected, removing the worm entails shutting down the Trojan software and editing the Windows registry to remove settings that launch the worm automatically when Windows starts.
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Another virus that thrives on the ignorance of the common computer user.
    UGH. If your gonna write virii, at least leave the "stupid" factor out. Im my opinion, they are so much more impressive. (virii that run on thier own, morph, etc.) now dont get me wrong, I hate viruses too. but, since they will never stop people from making new ones, I like seeing fresh ideas that dont prey on idiots. ("open this!")
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Originally posted here by avenger_jcc
    I like seeing fresh ideas that dont prey on idiots. ("open this!")
    It's been tried, but it's easier to patch security holes then it is to stop stupidity in the end user.

click here
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Maybe the next wave of virii will rely on the 'wet paint theory' .... they will have attachments that say, don't open this, it will damage your computer, wouldn't mind guessing that more than a few people would open it , just to check if it would damage it

it somehow doesn’t seem right that someone would go threw the trouble to write a virus to steal game keys, when they are already available on the internet. i mean that’s kind like breaking into a store to steal linux. If i were to believe that this was the reason for the release of this virus, id be adding to the stupid factor. Either the writer just wanted to see if it could be done and really didn't plan on taking the risk of picking up the keys, which is probly the case, or there is a much deeper reason for it.

Whatever the case im sure we can expect a rash of this kind of attack with the code altered yet again to get past AV software.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    or there is a much deeper reason for it.
    Have any of you read "The Deadliest Game" in the NetForce series by Tom Clancy ??

There someone who goes thrue the trouble of identity theft, just to win a game.
    But the true intention (only known by the reader) is to testcase the technology of identity theft in the (sci-fi/netforce) world.

That could be the deeper reason, a worm to steal other Keys and this as a proof-of-concept..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !