Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paritions

Lightbulb Paritions

Hey im lookin to add Redhat linux 8.0 to my box that is runnin XP HE rite now. I also have 120 GB HD so i figure i have room to spare. I need to get a free parition-making tool but cant fins one. So any help out there? My sys is single-boot rite now
    Seeing is Believing....

one is supplied on the linux RH disk. disk druid. Actually i think there's two, but i can't remember the others name.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I used the one Tedob1 suggested. It works pretty well.

Suggestion: Do a good defrag before you partition. I sometimes run it twice if there is still data at the end of the disk. It will help in the long run if your disk arm isn't flapping back and foth between partitions all the time.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well can i get disk druid for free even tho im downloading RH and burning it onto a CD?
    Seeing is Believing....

Don't forget to back up your data before doing any partitioning. Its best to back up your data a day before you actually partition just in case you forget something. To many times have I backed up my data and fdisk'ed only realize I forgot a few things.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

yes, it comes with it!

FIPS is the name of the other utility. this also comes with linux and is also free
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ninja Code Monkey
    It will actually have you run disk druid as part of the installation process. It's actually quite easy, just plan out how you want to partition ahead of time.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

before installing linux remember these:

1)check if linux supports the hadware you use or not(*)

2)create two startup disks(boot up disks) one for windows and the other for linux.(if your machine can boot from the
    cd-rom you don't need to create the boot disks)

3)backup your data(*)

Note: because this is the first time you are installing linux and making non dos partitions it is logical backing up your data before making any changes,partitioning the hard disk could go wrong somtimes especialy when you are not familiar with the proccess of patitioning .

4)read all the help or readme files that the partitioning software provides.(*)

5)partitioning the hard disk is the most important thing you do before installing linux so be sure you know what you are doing.

partitioning software:

the best free software that somtimes allows non-distructive changes to the partitions is FIPS that can be downloaded from most of the linux ftp sites.
    (it is recommended that you use this software for partitioning dos based partitions that are empty)

the best commercial software is partition magic that allows dynamic partiton adjusment and supports the creation and setup of linux.

links:

download fips:

http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/fips20.zip
    -----------------------------------------------
    how to use fips:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue38/veselosky.html
    --------------------------------------------------
    good resources about linux instalation:

http://www.linux.org/docs/beginner/install.html
    -----------------------------------------------

if you go into the admin services and into computer management it has a partitioning prog in it
    Ametuers get jail time Pros get jobs.

If you're going to install Linux for the first time just use Partition magic to make partitions on your HDD.

How to find it?

Just l00k around on the internet.
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499