p2p and firewalls...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p2p and firewalls...

p2p and firewalls...

I was just wondering....

If I would turn off my firewall (Agnitum Outpost), would I get better download speed from my p2p program (WinMX)? Of course, considering the fact that I did NOT block any components of WinMX with Agnitum.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!
    Share on Google+

It shouldnt lower your speed IMHO, but you can check your connection speed with and without Outpost to see for sure.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara
    Share on Google+

I would venture to say no since the bottle neck should be at your modem/nic/whatever.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.
    Share on Google+

Yeah, same here I think that it shouldn't affect your speed since all a firewall does is filter unwanted traffic and ports.
    =
    Share on Google+

Yeah, same here I think that it shouldn't affect your speed since all a firewall does is filter unwanted traffic and ports.
    =
    Share on Google+

unless your system is VERY antiquated, and underpowered, a firewall will not have an impact on your network speeds. UNLESS, you are being attacked or your ruleset is very convoluded (sp?) and difficult to parse...

I know in the case of ipchains and iptables the rules are met in order... the higher on the list a rule is matched the faster it is ACCEPTed/REJECTed/DROPed.. I'm not entirely sure this is the case in windows, but any useful (fast enough to not have you wanting to throw it out a window) computer will be able to match an ip/port/rule without interfereing with the speed of the data on the line.
    Share on Google+

unless your system is VERY antiquated, and underpowered, a firewall will not have an impact on your network speeds. UNLESS, you are being attacked or your ruleset is very convoluded (sp?) and difficult to parse...

I know in the case of ipchains and iptables the rules are met in order... the higher on the list a rule is matched the faster it is ACCEPTed/REJECTed/DROPed.. I'm not entirely sure this is the case in windows, but any useful (fast enough to not have you wanting to throw it out a window) computer will be able to match an ip/port/rule without interfereing with the speed of the data on the line.
    Share on Google+

WinMX has poor speeds with or without a firewall, your best bet for speed and the amount of files you can find would be Kazaa. You can use your firewall with it, and it has it's own antivirus to protect you from files that might damage your computer.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com
    Share on Google+

Kaza is a good p2p program, but I wouldn't recommend the plain Kaza. Kaza Lite and Diet Kaza are similar and better, because they don't have the pop-ups and the spyware that Kaza has.
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption
    Share on Google+

{
    >First of all this is an old post.
    >But since it's up.
    >Well Kazza P2P is causing a lot of viruses it seems like.
    >I would suggest getting the Kazza lite. It seems that Kazza lite isn't cause many errors.
    }
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]
    Share on Google+