Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any suggestions

Exclamation Programming Books

Fisiks,

When looking into C++, beware which book you use. C++ is an extremely complex and richly featured programming language. There are more poorly written books than there are authors, and more poor programming techinques than there are programmers. It is very easy to quickly learn bad programming techniques. My number one suggestion is to find a book written by a very well established and accredited programmer who also writes books. NOT an author who also programs computers. If he is such a great programmer, why is he writing books for a living? Remember that most books (sadly) are sold due to good marketing and exposure rather than good content.
    I asked a lot of people when I fortunately began to realize the many logical and stylistic errors in the book I was learning from and most pointed me to "The C++ Programming Language. Third Edition" written by Bjarne Stroustrup and published by Addison-Wesley, ©1997. ISBN 0-201-88954-4. I have found this book to be extremely accurate, informative, and easy to learn from.

If you are serious about this, buy a book or two (or three). A good book can be used as a reference for your entire programming career, not just a course to start it. I think people learn better from books than from the internet anyway. There is nothing that I have ever wanted to learn or know that could not be found better in a book than online.
    Good luck.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Exclamation Programming Books

Fisiks,

When looking into C++, beware which book you use. C++ is an extremely complex and richly featured programming language. There are more poorly written books than there are authors, and more poor programming techinques than there are programmers. It is very easy to quickly learn bad programming techniques. My number one suggestion is to find a book written by a very well established and accredited programmer who also writes books. NOT an author who also programs computers. If he is such a great programmer, why is he writing books for a living? Remember that most books (sadly) are sold due to good marketing and exposure rather than good content.
    I asked a lot of people when I fortunately began to realize the many logical and stylistic errors in the book I was learning from and most pointed me to "The C++ Programming Language. Third Edition" written by Bjarne Stroustrup and published by Addison-Wesley, ©1997. ISBN 0-201-88954-4. I have found this book to be extremely accurate, informative, and easy to learn from.

If you are serious about this, buy a book or two (or three). A good book can be used as a reference for your entire programming career, not just a course to start it. I think people learn better from books than from the internet anyway. There is nothing that I have ever wanted to learn or know that could not be found better in a book than online.
    Good luck.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I hate for this to seem like a too-short answer, but the best way to learn about a subject is to dive in and drown, then pull yourself out--if that makes any sense. Last year, someone compromised one of my servers. This made me mad as I could be. I read, read, and read some more about security issues, the Windows 2000 server everything books, etc, etc. Now, I pride my server. It's not a leave-it-alone-now-its-forever-secure issue, I'm occasionally tweaking and always updating the OS and software on it. If the server hadn't been compromised, I wouldn't know near as much about firewalls, exploits, common vulnerabilities & netbios, and tons of other security information. The same way you might learn PC repair by taking apart and messing up your own computer, you might be able to learn security info. Keep in mind, however, not to keep anything you wouldn't want the world to see on any servers you set up until you are very confident of your system's security.
    Have fun in the world of computer security, it's always changing!

Also, thanks to everyone above for listing these great reads, some of which I will probably read ASAP.
    Have you filled out an ID-10-T or PEBKAK form lately?

I hate for this to seem like a too-short answer, but the best way to learn about a subject is to dive in and drown, then pull yourself out--if that makes any sense. Last year, someone compromised one of my servers. This made me mad as I could be. I read, read, and read some more about security issues, the Windows 2000 server everything books, etc, etc. Now, I pride my server. It's not a leave-it-alone-now-its-forever-secure issue, I'm occasionally tweaking and always updating the OS and software on it. If the server hadn't been compromised, I wouldn't know near as much about firewalls, exploits, common vulnerabilities & netbios, and tons of other security information. The same way you might learn PC repair by taking apart and messing up your own computer, you might be able to learn security info. Keep in mind, however, not to keep anything you wouldn't want the world to see on any servers you set up until you are very confident of your system's security.
    Have fun in the world of computer security, it's always changing!

Also, thanks to everyone above for listing these great reads, some of which I will probably read ASAP.
    Have you filled out an ID-10-T or PEBKAK form lately?

well wellyou may try to www.blacksun.box.sk or at www.infosyssec.com or at wwww.deepcool.net
    www.security writers.com
    or you can mail to me for tutorials at malay2m@yahoo.com

well wellyou may try to www.blacksun.box.sk or at www.infosyssec.com or at wwww.deepcool.net
    www.security writers.com
    or you can mail to me for tutorials at malay2m@yahoo.com