Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sub 7 download need advise

totally agree with the rest.. a couple years ago i downloaded sub7 and the first thing i did was run the trojan on myself (DC from network of course) and leanred how to remove it. nice tool to learn basics about trojans and backdoors and whatnot..(at least i think so)

Actually I was trying to have fun with sub7 myself and I got infected with it because I turned off the norton antivirus. It seems that even though I didn't run the server.exe but only Subseven.exe, my computer got infected. Is this the as expected?

And even after I ran the norton antivirus to clean it later , my computer shows some error message when I turn my computer off. How can I fix this problem?

Actually I was trying to have fun with sub7 myself and I got infected with it because I turned off the norton antivirus. It seems that even though I didn't run the server.exe but only Subseven.exe, my computer got infected. Is this the as expected?

And even after I ran the norton antivirus to clean it later , my computer shows some error message when I turn my computer off. How can I fix this problem?

I would never consider a person who uses sub 7 a true hacker. However I can't discourage someone for being curious and playing with it in a "test" environment. I've tested out rootkits in a test environment before and you can't beat the hands on learning. Just keep in mind that using a Remote Access Tools doesn't make you a true hacker or even a cracker for that point.

I would never consider a person who uses sub 7 a true hacker. However I can't discourage someone for being curious and playing with it in a "test" environment. I've tested out rootkits in a test environment before and you can't beat the hands on learning. Just keep in mind that using a Remote Access Tools doesn't make you a true hacker or even a cracker for that point.

using a Remote Access Tools doesn't make you a true hacker or even a cracker for that point.
    Using it as a remote administrator tool isn't too harmful if you absolutely know what you're doing. I know quiet a few network administrators who use it in their private LANs, since no one from outside the intranet can access the computers. In a nutshell, it's quite a neet little tool if you think about it. However, it get's it's bad reputation because if it's malaciuos use and abuse. All I can say is, it can prove to be quite usefull, IF it is maturely and responsibly.
    Viper

using a Remote Access Tools doesn't make you a true hacker or even a cracker for that point.
    Using it as a remote administrator tool isn't too harmful if you absolutely know what you're doing. I know quiet a few network administrators who use it in their private LANs, since no one from outside the intranet can access the computers. In a nutshell, it's quite a neet little tool if you think about it. However, it get's it's bad reputation because if it's malaciuos use and abuse. All I can say is, it can prove to be quite usefull, IF it is maturely and responsibly.
    Viper

Exactly

I'm sorry, but Sub7 is like pokemon. You know you liked it at one time, yet you deny it. That applies to me. I was creating servers for the heck of it on a computer that didnt ever have Internet. Yet, when I installed Norton 2003 Professional on it, it detected sub7 binding to explorer.exe! (must be that "new" startup method) If it is true, with the logic bomb, im deleting it right now...
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Exactly

I'm sorry, but Sub7 is like pokemon. You know you liked it at one time, yet you deny it. That applies to me. I was creating servers for the heck of it on a computer that didnt ever have Internet. Yet, when I installed Norton 2003 Professional on it, it detected sub7 binding to explorer.exe! (must be that "new" startup method) If it is true, with the logic bomb, im deleting it right now...
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Uh, where do I start? I have always hated both sub7 and pokemon. I understand that sub7 is, if used legitimately, a handy remote administration tool. It is also, if used in a controlled and legal environment, a fun toy to use on friends. But, because of its attempts to have an ultra-stealth server, I can't imagine what would happen if Symantec or Mcafee stopped detecting this and other RATs as viruses. There are plenty of legitimate tools on the market, such as PCAnywhere, Remote Administrator, and many others. And I am NOT EVER going to disable my NAV to remotely administer a computer.
    Have you filled out an ID-10-T or PEBKAK form lately?