Thread: How to rename a computer?

How to rename a computer?

In system information for Windows it shows who the computer is registered to. I want to know how to change that.

I know I'm supposed to run regedit, but I do not know which folder contains the regestration
    name.

Helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks....

I found this on www.regedit.com .. should be just what your looking for
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/32/

-gunder

nah i dont think its in the regedit its in control panel some where or something i forgot now tho

look at that link I put up .. it shows you right where to go.

-gunder

Nebulus you really need to phrase your question better....do you want to rename the computer? OR do you want to change the registration info ON the computer? Also knowing what OS you were running might help.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

To change the Computer name in most Windows, you need to go to the Control panel than go to Network. From there, go to Identification and you can change the Computer Name. I do have to agree with Mahakaal though, because I'm saying Windows because I assume your on that. You neeed to specify your question a little better.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Well it appears that it is not the computer name but the reg setting of the OS who owns the software.
    "In system information for Windows it shows who the computer is registered to"
    Generally this is not a problem User and company info, if not a company but private person then you have to own the software to be legal.
    Regedit works so far and really this is not a site to ask how to modify a reg setting umless it is for a ligit reason and those were not presented, for that matter what version on Win.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

settings>>controlpanel>>system>>network identification>>
    you will find an option for changing the computer name

or you can do it the hard way and use regedit
    run>>regedit.exe>>search for the current computer name in the registry >>edit the key>>
    restart your computer>>over
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

er0k
    wrong forum, but for the renaming of the computer, yeah you just go to network identification in windows, or network configuration in linux or "neat" as its called, you need root for it. i recommend giving it a difficult name though, as in namehere2394568234 just to divert attacks. it helps if they cant guess the name of one computer on the network, just because its: examplecomputer1, and they guess examplecomputer2 is on the network.

Thanks Gunder, you are right. Good Work!

Pretty obvious question fellas!