Thread: Hardware failure? or M$ failure?

Hardware failure? or M$ failure?

OK, heres the problem, ive got a decent box, Athlon XP 1700+, 256MB DDR, 40Gb hd, nVidia geforce2 400 64mb video card, but its running M$ Winblows 2000, and whenever i try to play games that require openGL support they play for a while then something f***s up and gives me a the blue screen of death(kernel error), i know my system has openGL support and ive downloaded the latest drivers for everything, it still has this problem, if i shut the machine down for an hour or so then play it will last about 3 hrs, otherwise it only takes about an hour.

Im hoping somebody can tell me if this is an incompatability between some hardware, or between some of the hardware and Winblows. I know i cant be the only one that has ever had this problem, so please if you know anything let me know...im starting to hate my computer, and thats a bad thing.
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

could be your geforce im not sure though sorry

Might be a heat issue. could also be hardware. I am thinking it is not a windows issue actualy. So check your fans. try a different video card DL the new drivers.

Is it just for a specific game, or any game that uses openGL?

Possibly the OS isn't compatable with the game. Have you tried the apcompat.exe utility?

It can be found on the Win2k CDROM. I think under cd:\utilities\apcompat.exe

I recommend putting that file in c:\%systemroot%\system32 so you can use it whenever you want.

That application has fixed so many problems for me.

Worth a try.

You may also want to look and see if all your fans are working properly. Maybe even put another fan in there. Your vid card might be getting too hot.

I have a similar machine at work with mostly the same hardware and don't have any problems with it. I put more memory and an extra fan in the pci slot right below the video card and an extra fan on the back chasis.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Ill try adding another fan or two, right now there are only two, one on the front blowing in, and one on the side, blowing out, I think I'll add another one on the back right above the video card and see what that does. I know that Athlons are notorious for running hot, maybe the heat sync isn't doing as much as I'd like it to. Should I make the third fan blowing in or out?

Thanks for the advice from all of you. As soon as I get told which way I need to blow that third fan I'll get rid of the thread, since it will have outgrown its helpfullness.
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.