Thread: Basic Security Conference

Basic Security Conference

Hello all! I was asked to put on a basic security conference back home! There will be 2 flavours of the conference. One for home users, and one for small businesses. This is for people who don't know what a firewall is, how to filter spam, scan for viruses, etc etc. They can all use their computers well enough to get around fairly well on the internet, and all that sort of thing.. Anyway! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for topics to discuss that I don't have listed below.

Virus
    What they are
    How to prevent them

Worms
    What they are
    How to prevent them

Trojan Horse
    What they are
    How to prevent them

Hack Attacks
    What they are
    How to prevent them

Email
    Spam
    Virus attacks

Virus Scanners
    What they are
    How to configure them
    Top of the line virus scanners

Firewall
    What they are
    How to configure them
    Top of the line firewalls

Family Safety
    Online shopping (ebay, internet stores, etc etc)
    Blocking sites from your children (using netnanny, etc etc)

Securing networks from the inside and out agaisnt attacks
    Monitoring Employees
    Credit Card Theft

Am I missing anything obvious that everyone should know?

OH! Another thing is to demonstrate how easy it can be to trace where people come from. Also to show them a bit about NeoTracePro so they can see that in about 1 minute, how easy it is for someone to find their house/company/whatever on a world map. (to help drill in the fact that their defenses should be up!)

Along with how to shut down the windows messaging system so those that don't use it don't get that new kind of spam that's starting to float around.

The joys of spyware and how to get rid of it is also on the list!

Re: Basic Security Conference

Hello all! I was asked to put on a basic security conference back home! There will be 2 flavours of the conference. One for home users, and one for small businesses. This is for people who don't know what a firewall is, how to filter spam, scan for viruses, etc etc. They can all use their computers well enough to get around fairly well on the internet, and all that sort of thing.. Anyway! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for topics to discuss that I don't have listed below.
    I don't know... I just think that "basic security" should start with less-technical things...

Privacy
    What it is
    Why it is important
    How to ensure privacy

Security
    What it is
    Why it is important
    How to ensure security

Passwords
    What they are
    Why we need stong passwords
    How to choose stong passwords

Social Engineering
    What it is
    Why it is dangerous
    How to deal with it

etc...

Then you go into technology, tools and other technical things...

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

i think that at the moment you give a conference for internet security it shoul explain TCP/IP and a lot of other protocols, its the basic , TCP/IP and packet structure and so on ...

greetz

Re: Basic Security Conference

Originally posted here by fuzz_64
    OH! Another thing is to demonstrate how easy it can be to trace where people come from. Also to show them a bit about NeoTracePro so they can see that in about 1 minute, how easy it is for someone to find their house/company/whatever on a world map. (to help drill in the fact that their defenses should be up!)
    This 'finding where you live' through your IP address stuff is pretty hyped up. Regardless, if you want to show them how to protect themselves against this sort of thing, you might want to include a section on proxy servers: how they work, how to find free ones, using them in IE and other browsers etc.

Good luck with your conferences

-toad

Where have all the "experts" gone?????

I mean all companies have "computer experts" or am I wrong suppose so....
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

For the conference geared towards small businesses, I would suggest spending at least a little time on the importance of security training for employees and policies and procedures.

Thanks all for the ideas! Will let you know how things turn out!