Thread: Cable modem on RH 7.3

It's a gas!

Cable modem on RH 7.3

Hi guys

Im getting my broadband connection installed next Wednesday and was wondering if anybody has had any problems configuring/installing the modem on this distro?

Ive spoken with my ISP (NTL) about compatibility and they're sure that this modem will work no problem on my Linux box.

Anybody?

Cheers

r3b00+

Hi,

I have the RH 8.0 release latest kernel , I've had no problems with my dsl modem or ISP.
    It was actualy very simple (almost windows like) plug and play... but offcourse I don't know how youre provider works (do you get dynamic IP's or static do you need to log in etc..)
    Before I made me a router with some old pc that was lying around I worked with the dsl on my computer (the linux) never had any problems..you don't even need to install the modem , only need to configure you're network (adapters , tcp/ip) but this isn't difficult at all.

Hope this helps,

Gr33tz,

Cemetric
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Cable modems are not OS dependant if you use ethernet. You should definately consider using a NIC. The only exception would be if the provider requires PPPOE authentication which isn't a big deal in RH7, 8

-Vectorman
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!