Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSN more secure?

Arrow MSN more secure?

Microsoft is offering MSN 8, which in exchange for a fee per month is going to offer the consumer, more security, more parental controls, and better anti-spam email.

Here is the link showing what it offers.
    MSN 8

I personally find this offensive as all these features they are offering for a fee per month are available on the internet for free. But I guess there will be more than enough people that will jump at the chance to be more "secure" on the internet.

Read your post Zaggy, jumped to the MSN8 feature site.. and still sit here, slightly disturbed by the fact that Microsoft promote the new MSN8 service with "better" security. Now atleast of what I've read these new security updates are only the parental controls, anti-spam tool and the firewall (I've got to question the quality of these features, and anyway you'd most certainly find them alot cheaper). But this still leaves (what atleast I think is) the largest treat to your online security, MSN itself. Wouldn't it be great if alot of Microsoft programmers could have gotten together to try to figure out why these exploits and security holes kept popping up in their adorable IM?

Anyway, what I think people will pay for is the software itself (When MS takes the freeware off the net), and the "powerful software" features. But I don't know, all I know is that I'll survive without MSN.

But I won't doubt that many people will be taking an easy way out and pay $21,95 / month for these new features. I just can't, it just aint worth it.

It's funny,you'd think being the richest man in the world would eventually make you less greedy.What the hell is with M$ leaving things out of their products and then they turn around and charge for it when it should have been there in the first place.Could you imagine if Bill Gates would have decided to go into the automotive industry?

Bill Gates->In our next version,due for release in 6 months,we're going to incorporate this great new technology known as brakes.

...besides that,you know every "security feature" M$ comes up with is rendered useless before it even hits the market.Look at the XP anti-pirating idea.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

lol, yeah I actually can imagine Gates sitting there making even more money. But hey, he's marching into the world of cell phones now... Who knows where he'll be in a couple of years...

that's actually a little scary to think about...

Originally posted here by swoosh
    Read your post Zaggy, jumped to the MSN8 feature site.. and still sit here, slightly disturbed by the fact that Microsoft promote the new MSN8 service with "better" security. Now atleast of what I've read these new security updates are only the parental controls, anti-spam tool and the firewall (I've got to question the quality of these features, and anyway you'd most certainly find them alot cheaper). But this still leaves (what atleast I think is) the largest treat to your online security, MSN itself. Wouldn't it be great if alot of Microsoft programmers could have gotten together to try to figure out why these exploits and security holes kept popping up in their adorable IM?

Anyway, what I think people will pay for is the software itself (When MS takes the freeware off the net), and the "powerful software" features. But I don't know, all I know is that I'll survive without MSN.

But I won't doubt that many people will be taking an easy way out and pay $21,95 / month for these new features. I just can't, it just aint worth it.
    Exactly what ticks me off, MS could put money into patching the security holes THEY created! Instead they choose to make the consumer think that they are doing something so good for them, when in reality they are making money once again off of people's lack of knowledge! Drives me nuts!

No matter what anyone says, Bill Gates and his workers know how to make money. The way I see it, if you don't like the program, don't use it. If you don't like the company, don't buy their products. If you don't like the person, don't mention him. Come on, now, this "I hate Bill Gates and Microsoft" stuff got old about four years ago. Christ.

Where do you draw the line then?This I hate Bill Gates thing didn't get old 4 years ago.It's prevalant throughout the technology industry.I wouldn't have a problem with M$ if they would debug their software before putting it on the market.You would think with a few billion dollars you might be able to hire a competant team of programmers.M$ is all about getting their product on the market to put money in the pockets of the CEO's,not about taking a little extra time to ensure the consumer is buying a quality piece of software.Granted all software is going to have it's holes discovered after it's initial release,but have you looked at the list of holes in M$ operating systems as opposed to those in *nix OS's?Those people are using their own time and money to get it out on the market.So why is it then that a huge multi-billion dollar corporation can't afford even the extra time(I won't even mention M$ taking money out of it's own pocket.Mutant flying pigs will take over the world before that happens).

Then the greed and hunger for power extends even further with this "security/anti-pirating" crap that gives them control over what you can and can't have on your computer as well as what you can do with it.So now you don't just get an arm and a leg hacked off in the process of buying their product,you have to relinquish control of your computer to?What purpose does that serve?It serves the purpose of securing the monopoly of M$.It's a sad thing that in order to get a quality product consumers have to invest their own time and money to make it themselves,or use the half-ass product of a monopoly.You can't expect the average computer user to just give up using M$ products,because until recently you had to have pretty extensive knowledge of computers to use *nix.Not everybody has the time to gain that knowledge."Just don't use their products" is a hell of a lot easier said then done for most people.

one thing to say here, very plain and to-the-point argument

why should we have to pay for a more secure product, especially something such as a browser or anything to do with networks or the internet, fix the problem altogether by not using microsoft browsers as there are some great third party browsers out there such as opera(www.opera.com), mozilla(www.mozilla.org) and netscape(www.netscape.com) just to name some of the most popular.

as far as what i have seen of it, the msn browser appears rather clunky and slow, not to mention the fact that it will 'integrate' with windows and will become (like IE in XP) a 'critical' part of the o/s even though you may not use it and it wastes space on your drive...

if only i could get (or have the patience) to make every program for windows to work on a linux release i'd ditch XP pro and just have 2 linux boxes

one thing to say here, very plain and to-the-point argument

why should we have to pay for a more secure product, especially something such as a browser or anything to do with networks or the internet, fix the problem altogether by not using microsoft browsers as there are some great third party browsers out there such as opera(www.opera.com), mozilla(www.mozilla.org) and netscape(www.netscape.com) just to name some of the most popular.

as far as what i have seen of it, the msn browser appears rather clunky and slow, not to mention the fact that it will 'integrate' with windows and will become (like IE in XP) a 'critical' part of the o/s even though you may not use it and it wastes space on your drive...

if only i could get (or have the patience) to make every program for windows to work on a linux release i'd ditch XP pro and just have 2 linux boxes

MS has been a boon on the computing world for years now.!!!!

If you like microsoft then read up on them you won't like them after you look at this

www.****microsoft.com

Oh yeah and to stay on track why did microsloth fix outlook and word but not access?? you can still implement virii and trojen horses into any access application