Thread: What is...?

What is...?

I just got a book about linux and it keeps talking about IDE/EIDE AND SCSI. Does anyone know what they are? I think they have something to do with hardware, but i'm not sure.

Keith

Angry

You got to be kidding right?, I can't believe you dare to read a book and don't even know that. Have you ever seen a computer from inside??. Well, I shouldn't blame you, at least you are trying to learn.

IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics, is the conector from the motherboard to some devices, most commonly, hard disks and cd-roms (cd-rws, dvd-rws, etc). EIDE is the extended version, in other words, faster. That is the most common this days.

SCSI stands for Small Computer System Interface. It is basically the same thing, in different format. It was developed by Apple, and it supports up to 15 devices per controlller. You can plug several kind of devices, hard disks and cd-roms are the most common.

Now do yourself a favor, go to www.whatis.com and look for a more technical answer!.
    Todo lo que no me mata me hace mas fuerte...

Unhappy

Umm... thanks.... I think

Keith

Keith:

I don't think you should hesitate to thank Oso at all. He answered your question. His surprise is that the question is extremely basic for the level of computer user normally associated with this site.

However, many people who have used computers have not played with the hardware much. If you open your case you will notice a cable going to your hard drive. If your hard drive is a standard drive then it is EIDE (unless it is very old in which case it might be IDE). There are two EIDE connectors on most motherboards (connector 0 and 1). They can support two devices each, a master and a slave. So your computer can initially support 4 IDE devices.

You can add cards that give you more IDE ports for more devices.

SCSI is also a device controller but it can support 7 or 15 depending on the type of SCSI controller you have.

IDE advantages are cheaper devices, decent performance, easy to set up and use, almost always integrated into the motherboard (no extra cards to buy).

IDE disadvantages Fewer Devices

SCSI advantages: More devices, higher data rates, better data utilization

SCSI disadvantages: More expensive devices, Usually not integrated into the motherboard, steeper learning curve to set up.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

For my home system I use IDE due to price and because performance is not critical. At work we use SCSI since cost is less important than performance. If you are going to use SCSI make sure to set up your LUNs (check Whatis.com) correctly. Also you should realize that *nix usually is happier if certain devices use certain lun numbers.

BTW, SCSI is much easier to set up now than it was in the past. Like many things they have worked to become much more user friendly. My recommendation though is that if you are going to purchase a SCSI interface card get a well known one like Adaptec. It simplifies its integration with OS's like Linux. Personally I wouldn't buy one that wasn't Adaptec but I am prejudiced by past problems.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

[shadow]Firts of all the fact that SCSI is not integrated into the system is not a disadvantages. [/shadow] The fact is, it is much better for performance to buy and install separate SCSI controller such as Adaptec. Also most home user will not have nor run SCSI devices because cost to perfomance doesnt justify, unless you got rich lil man or if you have connections. Personally I have a SCSI HardDrive and SCSI CD-Rom and no I am not rich I got friends in good places, got a free controller and free drives. Nevertheless SCSI is a lot better A LOT BETTER AND FASTER then EIDE. But also costs more. Up to date if I am correct
    EIDE = 133Mbps and SCSI is 320Mbps speed wise, so you can see the big difference. To big companies the cost is justifiable thats why they usually run SCSI in Servers or Workstations, rarely on user desktops.
    EIDE on the the hand is cheaper and still fast enough for your everyday needs. Even under heavy loads. Since most home users can't possibly run heave apps you dont need anything higher then EIDE. I stress my systems at times slowing them down to a crawl even though they are all overclocked. Even my Overclocked AMD 1600+ ( Which Runs at 1800+ speed after OC) comes to a crawl sometimes EIDE is hard drive is able to handle the load. But a plus of this system is that it runs both EIDE and SCSI. My OS runs of SCSI and all apps stored on the EIDE. That helps at times. And this is good for technicians or people who do everything themselves on their pc's. Pc with SCSI is much easier to format then EIDE. In your case I bet you, you run EIDE depending on the age of your system is could be ATA 33/66/100/133. Respectively. [gloworange]HOPE THIS ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION.[/gloworange]
    [gloworange]I pLaY mY eNeMyS lIkE a ChEsS.[/gloworange]

I think it is only fair to say we all started somewhere, and at least you are going about it the right way.Feel free to ask anybody advice on this site and I am sure they wouldn't mind at all to help.The best yet is that it is available all hours of the day and for free.Value peoples opinions and advice and you will in turn be respected.

There is also a book that I have been reading a while back called" Pc 's for dummies", don't be offended by the words because it is called that for the simple reason that we are starting from scratch and they assume we don't know anything about Pc's.Believe me it describes everything you want to know in a simple understandable language.They have also brought out many other versions I believe which tackles issues on networking,security,hardware and sofware.

To conclude I can only say enjoy this site because it is a wonderfull experience and you will also make a whole lot of new friends in time to come.

regards
    v/man
    Practise what you preach.