Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how hacker could.....?

how hacker could.....?

hi! i m newbie here and although i've posted 9 posts still i m not sure how one hacker could enter in my system when i've latest antivirus installed and protected by some good firewall like zonealarm. Is there anyway left for a hacker using which he/she could enter in my system. Ooh i also want to ask you that which ports remain open even you are using zonealarm? Btw i use internet explorer on win98 OS. Hope for some good response.

hey buddy ,
    the most important thing for a hacker is to know ur ip address if he knows it he can easily access to ur computer.right now ur ip address is being broadcasted so priamry thing you should do is that you must get a proxy such as winproxy for windows.hmmmmmmmmmmm even if you have got software like zonealarm hacker can intrude in to tour system without being detected.the next thing is antivirus that does'nt gives effective security against torjans and flooders it would be better if you can afford pest petrol it's the most effective one i 'have seen.okay the next important thing i tell you is that hacker's generally access through port 23 that is default for telnet programs or by port 79.
    that's it hope my information will help you
    malay

hey naughty...
    Okay, antivirus software doesn't protect you from getting hacked per-say; what antivirus software does is scan your system for known viruses, trojans etc... It does not, physically prevent someone from telneting into your machine through an open port and owning your box... However it can help in scanning for certain "minions" a hacker could put there... It is a useful tool although personally I don't use antivirus software of any kind... I prefer firewalls.
    Antivirus software protects you from foreign entities hiding in your box and making your life miserable but it won't do anything for you if a hacker gets your ip, portscans you, and then telnets into an unguarded port. Though (b/c of the antivirus) he may not be able to slip a trojan or a virus in on ya, he coul still just randomly start tear-assing around in your system. You need to be on the defensive against those kind of remote attacks/ That's the firewalls job. It was wise of you to install one. Although I've no experience with zonealarm I can tell you that you need to look for a firewall rule which allows you to telnet out of your machine, but does not allow others to telnet in. In otherwords, the firewall should give you an option to block all incoming telnet connections, but will let you make outgoing telnet connections if you follow me, I know it sounds a little tricky. Basically it blocks all incoming TCP packets with the ppp0 interface, but lets you send outgoing TCP packets with the SYN bitset. Most firewalls will give you the option to do that. Also, I suggest setting your firewall to masquerade your ip address. Again, most firewalls will let you. Another good trick to remember is blocking ICMP, which basically denies people the ability to ping you. This helps defend you against DOS attacks.
    Those are just some basic tips... I suggest you read the tutorial on "How Servers are Cracked" at http://blacksun.box.sk there's a lot more good information there. Good luck! Hope this helped.

Wink

I'm pretty sure noone will attack you =)

P.S. Be sure all ports are closed )) And remember there's no software 100% vulnearable to attacks if user is "nobrainer".
    Give man a fish and he will ask for more.
    Teach man to fish and he will never ask again.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

Originally posted here by uid(zer0)
    I'm pretty sure noone will attack you =)
    I am somewhat curious how anybody can be sure that they or anyone else can't be attacked? If that were true, security would be a non-issue and this site would be a chat site only.

First of all. Windows 98. [gloworange]Dont you think it's time to upgrade? [/gloworange] I mean there are so many attacks and backdoors for windows 98. Also no security is perfect plus since you are a newbie there are quite a few things a "Hacker" can do in order to penetrate your puny attempt at security or protection against "them". Keeping up with latest patches, and running firewall and AntiVirus is good. As someone mentioned port 23 should be blocked unless you use telnet. There are few other ports you should block that are used for look up. In other words a hacker can use an open port to collect sensitive information about you. Good thing would be to run ZoneAlarm in high alert mode. Remember Perfection Does Not Exist. Hope this helped.
    [gloworange]I pLaY mY eNeMyS lIkE a ChEsS.[/gloworange]

A few tips I would suggest to keep up to date with any software you have. Second, make sure your passwords to your computer are strong and long ones. Third, some hacker's go to Social Engineering, so if you get a call or a email that basically asks for your password, it's probably a hacker trying to social engineer his way in. There are many ways a hacker can break in, so try doing searches for "Computer Security" or "Hacker Security" and learn as much as you can on ways to protect your computer. Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, some good advice so far. Allow me to take it a little furthur. An Antivirus, like stated previously, basicly cleans up an attack after it has happened. Now an attack can come many ways. E-mail, remote, locally, infected floppies, downloads, etc etc... The important thing to know is that new virii come out everyday, and your antivirus will be ineffective against that new virii until you update its database of virii fixes with the manufacturer.

As for actual attacks, firewalls are fine and dandy, but not full proof. There are many ways to get thru, disable, take down, and crash firewalls. The key word in defending your box is frequent updates to both the firewall and the AV software. Now, in a firewall you will want to "stealth" your ports. This basicly means that when a person pings you, they will not get a response from your machine. But, you can still be DoS'd regardless. The packets will still be reaching your machine, your machine just won't send a responce. Firewalls are good, but are pointless if you allow every connection. There are many vulnerabilities in many everyday programs. For instance if you have an old version of winamp 2, and allow an outgoing connection from winamp's browser, you just opened a window for a hacker. Upgrade to 3 and you've closed it. Just about every program out there that makes a connection to the internet, can be exploited. This is the reason for different versions of software. In winamp 3, they have fixed the previous bug. Hence why constant updates are a priority. So, Every program you have connected is a window a hacker can try and enter. These commonly include IE, AIM, YIM, Kazaa, etc...

Well, I hope that helped clear up some stuff for you.

As you are using Windows 98 don`t worry about Telnet, thats more useful on Unix systems.Your main threat is going to come from something like downloading a virus/trojan, or the various netbios techniques that could be used. So first off make sure zonealarm is blocking netbios from coming in, and then keep your antivirus up to date, don`t open emails from anyone you don`t know.

As xmadness said any internet connected apps will open up connections to the net that someone could potentially exploit, so stay up to date on those.

I would advise you get off Win 98 though as it really isn`t that good, you could use Linux if you have a lower spec machine that won`t run the latest and greatest Windows.

Also, I agree with uid(zer0) don`t get too caught up worrying about who is going to attack you, someone might take a look at your as a target of opportunity (i.e. someone is doing a network scan and comes across your box), or someone you know, but thats probably it. (I hope)

As for zonealarm, its fine for protecting your machine, it can be defeated, but most script kiddies are not going to be able to do that. If you want something a little more meaty get hold of an appliance firewall (such as an s-box) or set up a firewall using OpenBSD.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

As you are using Windows 98 don`t worry about Telnet, thats more useful on Unix systems.Your main threat is going to come from something like downloading a virus/trojan, or the various netbios techniques that could be used. So first off make sure zonealarm is blocking netbios from coming in, and then keep your antivirus up to date, don`t open emails from anyone you don`t know.

As xmadness said any internet connected apps will open up connections to the net that someone could potentially exploit, so stay up to date on those.

I would advise you get off Win 98 though as it really isn`t that good, you could use Linux if you have a lower spec machine that won`t run the latest and greatest Windows.

Also, I agree with uid(zer0) don`t get too caught up worrying about who is going to attack you, someone might take a look at your as a target of opportunity (i.e. someone is doing a network scan and comes across your box), or someone you know, but thats probably it. (I hope)

As for zonealarm, its fine for protecting your machine, it can be defeated, but most script kiddies are not going to be able to do that. If you want something a little more meaty get hold of an appliance firewall (such as an s-box) or set up a firewall using OpenBSD.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes