Thread: Improve the appearance of AO under Linux

Improve the appearance of AO under Linux

AO uses some fonts which are Windows-specific - notably Verdana. These fonts are usually not available under a stock Linux install (Mandrake/ Redhat for instance)

AO uses some small font sizes which look really bad with the fonts that the Linux-based browsers typically substitute for the Windows fonts which they don't have.

Mandrake and Redhat are of course unable to include these fonts due to copyright issues, therefore they cannot add them. But if you have a valid licence for Windows it is probably legal to add them yourself (assuming that your machine either dual boots in Windows, or you have another machine with Windows)

This tutorial explains how to fix this - it really *DOES* improve AO's appearance in Linux browsers (Netscape, Mozilla, Galeon etc (haven't tried Konqueror but should work ok too)) (AO doesn't work too well in Opera)

1. Get your Windows fonts from your Windows box or partition and slap them somewhere in the Linux filesystem - I've chosen /usr/local/share/fonts (this assumes that your windows partition is in /mnt/windows and windows is installed in C:\windows)

mkdir -p /usr/local/share/fonts
    cp /mnt/windows/windows/fonts/verd* /mnt/windows/windows/fonts/ari* /usr/local/share/fonts

2. Assuming you're using a distro which uses xfs (Mandrake and Redhat do I think)

Edit /etc/X11/fs/config, adding the path you've used to the "catalogue" section thus:

catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
    (loads of other stuff chopped)
    /usr/share/fonts/ttf/western, <-- Extra comma
    /usr/local/share/fonts/ttf <-- This line added

3. Set up the fonts directory with an index (used by the font server to determine whcih font is which)

mkttfdir /usr/local/share/fonts/ttf

4. Restart xfs

/etc/init.d/xfs restart

5. Close and reopen your browser if necessary

6. Go to www.antionline.com and see the difference

that was a great tip.. slarty...

will try to make use of it next time...
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Slarty... nice post

some remarks:

you can replace your step 2, the editing of the config file for xfs, with one command
    # chkfontpath --add /usr/local/share/fonts/

And a detailed HOWTO (describing what you say) can be found here (for examlpe for people not using xfs):
    http://www.europe.redhat.com/documen.../truetype.php3

This is an excellant post, keep up the good work. I have just installed a copy of Red Hat Linux and am just starting to get to grips with it, now I can view the site in all its glory as it was meant to be viewed.
    [shadow]The hunter who chases two rabbits catches neither[/shadow] - Zen Master

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.