Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: is updating the BIOS really dangerous?

I really don't think he has a clue d00d...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Manpreet -
    In your original post, you said you had a Seagate 80 GB hard drive - which is why both avdven and I suggested going to the Seagate site. I checked out Samsung and what you need to do is download their Disk Manager program by Ontrack http://www.samsungelectronics.com/hd...lities_01.html This program will walk you through setting up your hardware so it will recognize capacities over 32 GB. I would copy the instructions into Notepad or Word and print them out so you have them available to refer to.
    I believe what haoeng was referring to is - that once you run the Disk Manager program (whether Seagate or Samsung) you aren't supposed to run Fdisk. In other words, if you need to run Fdisk, run it first - then run Disk Manager. If the Samsung program runs like the Seagate one (which I'm sure it does since they are both by Ontrack) you don't need to run Fdisk. Just read the directions, make sure you understand everything and then run the program. Disk Manager is described as a 3rd party hard disk manager by Microsoft and to put it simply, MS Fdisk does not play well with others. I've used the Seagate Ontrack Disk Manager before, although it's been a while and it worked great. If you have any questions regarding the instructions - just ask and I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Manpreet -
    In your original post, you said you had a Seagate 80 GB hard drive - which is why both avdven and I suggested going to the Seagate site. I checked out Samsung and what you need to do is download their Disk Manager program by Ontrack http://www.samsungelectronics.com/hd...lities_01.html This program will walk you through setting up your hardware so it will recognize capacities over 32 GB. I would copy the instructions into Notepad or Word and print them out so you have them available to refer to.
    I believe what haoeng was referring to is - that once you run the Disk Manager program (whether Seagate or Samsung) you aren't supposed to run Fdisk. In other words, if you need to run Fdisk, run it first - then run Disk Manager. If the Samsung program runs like the Seagate one (which I'm sure it does since they are both by Ontrack) you don't need to run Fdisk. Just read the directions, make sure you understand everything and then run the program. Disk Manager is described as a 3rd party hard disk manager by Microsoft and to put it simply, MS Fdisk does not play well with others. I've used the Seagate Ontrack Disk Manager before, although it's been a while and it worked great. If you have any questions regarding the instructions - just ask and I'm sure you'll get what you need.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

oh... i must have said this mistakenly... (coz i have two hdds one seagate and one samsung).. anyway thanks for the information...

BTW, I am going to flash my bios today itself .. i have got the required files now... and therefore there is no need for disk manager...

Manpreet
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

manpreet -
    I hope you had good luck flashing your bios and would like to know how it went. I had hoped you would use the Disk Manager program so you could avoid flashing your bios, especially since, as I stated when I found the info for your board, I saw no notations where a bios upgrade would 'fix' the 32GB limit capacity.
    . . . V

Yippie!!

It worked fine. No probs at all. And now my system does recognize 40 GB HDD... wow!

Also, with a new bios, it seems my computer is booting up faster... than before...

Thanks a lot to all of you guys for guiding me

Manpreet
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......