Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ip address

ip address

what can someone do if your ip address is seen? I have heard conflicting ideas on this subject? The use of a proxy takes care of this doesn't it?. Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

What a privacy proxy does is make it so websites cant view your ip address, and if someone has your ip address no bigie, they can do alot of stuff with your ip address if there smart but they wont

Knowing an IP address is kind of like knowing a house's street address. You can't get mail(packets) from someone without giving them your address. Only thing is you want to be resonably sure you lock your doors and bar your windows. Not unlike a suburban development, most ISP owned subnets are populated by row after row of relatively uninteresting denizens. If you don't have a static IP address( an address that never changes) or a known registered domain name(storefront w/ a sign) the odds of being specifically targeted are slim. However, there are those nefarious people out there wandering around rattling doorknobs(script kiddies) but they are usually easily sent looking for easier targets with basic precautions.

Hope this metaphor wasn't too lame...
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

ip reply

That was an explanation I could easily understand The example was clear Thanks auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

that was actually one of the better metaphor's I've heard Dok! The subject of whether or not someone having your IP addy puts one in danger is an intensely arguable one. Put yourself in a corporate network position where anyone can obtain your IP address ranges with simple tools.

If you run a webserver, that IP address too can be obtained via simple tools like nslookup or dig. even ping (ping www.yahoo.com, notice how it resolves to an IP) will give you the IP of a dns name. The fact is, yes proxy's do help to hide IP addy's... but there are also people out there randomly scanning that may or not grab the IP you have regardless. And yes there are many many tools out there to both hide, or obtain an IP addy.

The best trick like Dok up there siad, keep yourself protected. This is what we do in corporate environments, it's what most of us here at AO do at home. Granted we go through more trouble to lock down a corporate environment!! Browse the forums for old threads on personal firewalls and of course antivirus... with those two simple tools you'll make yourself a hard enough target to avoid the S'kiddies and naturally any "real" blackhat out there with malicious intent is after larger fish (like our corporate networks... oh dag....).

Definately search the forums for previous threads on all these subjects, I'm pretty sure you'll find what you need!! and if not you can always visit the AO chat (we get a bit wild but really someone should help you there.....)
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

OK seeing as how you guys liked my metaphor, I'll extend it some
    An anonymous proxy is a bit like having a P.O. box and then having the post office remail the contents to you.
    Reagardless, your address is still recorded( IP logged) somewhere, but it's a matter of who has it. If a proxy server is run by someone we can trust, it is a good aid to increasing your privacy and possibly security. Those who have been around for a while will know that proxies are good for more then web based protocols. For years s'kiddies have been using misconfigured Wingate proxies to crack with little fear of reprisal, typically using telnet.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

hmmm P.O. boxes now......

Whats next a metaphor to explain how a Denial of Service attack is much like someone smacking your mailbox with a baseball bat, it simply causes a means of communication to be overloaded or slow?

he he
    ~THEJRC~

Re ip address

You guys are funny the way you joke around. I really did like the explanations, the simple ones got to me right away they didn't overwhelm me, and the technical ones will stretch my brain a bit. Auntie

... and a man in the middle attack is kinda like someone mugging then impersonating your mailman, reading and altering your mail, then delivering it.

Is this getting out of hand? You can tell me
    -Bad Religion

we should drop it into a new thread "Metaphoric guide to the technical world"
    ~THEJRC~