telnet???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: telnet???

telnet???

OK.Here's the deal.I'm a complete n00b to telnet/unix/anything to do with the whole thing.I'd like some help as far as the do's & don't,anything I should know security-wise involving it,and recommended reading.Try to keep it simple,because the extent of my knowledge with this is a few of the basic commands and that's about it.Right now,it's nothing more than a strange,confusing,foreign world to me,but it seems like it could be interesting and useful.

telnet is a nice thing
    try "telnet introduction" in google an it gives you tons of information
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

A telnet server comes with most versions of linux and can be enabled/disabled/configured through xinetd. If you need to download a telnet server my suggestion is go to rpmfind.net.

Telnet sends everything over the network in clear text, including passwords. Someone with a sniffer on the network might be able to read your username and password (as its in plain text and not encrypted). For security reasons you might want to look into using SSH.

Telnet is an old but very good program that you can find in any Windows, linux or other distro and which is generally used to comunicate with some services/daemons in text mode.

A tutorial about it was posted at http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=233245

As Meister said, all the answers about it will be on Google.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Basically it is an emulator to turn your computer into a "dumb terminal" from back in the days when companies used terminals to do work but didnt really have any processing power, but the others are right, theres no security with it, and Putty is a better alternative and lets you use ssh to connect to a remote server if you need to get something done that has important info you dont want others reading, just search for putty its pretty easy too find. and if you look for telnet how to texts or texts on telnet and putty yo should be fine.

....And after finding out info about this, you might want to look into a really neat Telnet/SSH client called "Putty". It has a really nice interface, it works better than the built in one on Windows, and has alot better features than most telnet/ssh clients. I'd definitely check it out.
    Space For Rent.. =]

By the way the tut. referenced by KissCool is written by me. I hope that you may find it useful.
    With great power comes great responsibility.

Good advice all around. The best advice for telnet is not to use it, because it was designed at a time when the Internet was a much more trusting place than it is now. 15 or 20 years ago, nobody worried much about password sniffing, and telnet was designed accordingly. Telnet is a relic of an age long gone.... a dinosaur among Internet protocols. With the SSH protocol having reached the level of acceptance and maturity it has, there is really no compelling reason to use telnet anymore unless you absolutely need to access a server that doesn't accept anything else.

The same also goes for FTP, although that protocol is hanging on much better than telnet due to the prevalence of anonymous FTP sites on the Internet. But I guess it's fine for that purpose, because it would be pretty pointless to sniff an anonymous login. I would never use it for a real user login, though.... well, not on the open Internet anyway.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Thanx everybody for the help.I'm sort of seeing problemchild's point,but I still think I'm gonna mess around with it a little bit.I'll keep it anonymous though.If it's on my computer I have to mess with it.That's just the way I operate.I checked out tour tut hollow_man,and it did help(thanx).I will also try out putty.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Remeber telnet is more then a clent/server, but also an important protocol, one step above raw tcp/ip as it provides control characters etc. lots of services, IRC for example, actually use telnet protocol. If you are really, really interested you can read the RFC here: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc318.html
    A telnet client is a nice way to mess around with lots of services on remote hosts, grabbing banners, port surfing etc.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion