Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSN Messanger Scam?

I was under the influence that this game with Kazaa, and that this is nothing to do with microsoft as I had messenger for ages and when I got kazaa i started recieving these messages (this was just what i thought so it may be messenger)

As it says on that site Here these are sent using the NET SEND command in MS DOS they can be sent using your IP or HOSTNAME but either can be derived from the other anyway...This is a sign that your system in unsecure and you should do something about it eg. Get a Firewall :P

Trucido

That isn't from MSN Messenger, it's from Windows Messenger an entirely different application.

As Trucido stated it's done through the NET SEND command... and yes there is a company out there that has made an application that automates the NET SEND command for you so you can spam whole chunks of IP address ranges out there.

El Diablo

MCSkibadee, are you running Kazaa or any problem that has ad/spyware built into it? Reason I am asking is because lots of people here at my shool have it and my roommate and I always get these messages. I always assumed it was from the stuff that was put into Kazaa.

AcidBurn1213 although the net send messages could originate from with in a piece of spyware, turning off the messaging service will stop it, no matter where it comes from.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

How do you turn off the messaging service?

In your advanced TCP/IP setting under the wins tab select Disable netbios. That should do the trick for you.