Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain Names

er0k

Domain Names

Anyone know of a FREE dns that will give me a .net .com or .org ?? Me and my friends will be starting a website, and i just want to know if free ones actually exist. Ive been searching and cant find a damn thing under $10.00 a month, much less for free. Help appreciated please.

If you've got a web-server capable 'puter at home (apache on win32 or linux, IIS (yech)), point yourself to
    http://www.dns2go.com , Deerfield Associates or something like that.
    You pick a web name, like <shameless plug for ugly website>http://www.mskennedy.d2g.com
    </end shameless plug>, download a client that reports your IP to Deerfields' servers, and voila! Your very
    own web set-up. It's free as long as you're not operating a commercial web-site.
    They must check, so don't push it.

Couple things to keep in mind (just checking, mind you...),
    FIREWALL IT!- Most ISP's don't like it if you've got a web-server,
    and they'll finger yer box now and then to check.
    Read their Acceptable Use Policy ( they all have 'em),
    and most will say that hosting sservices like HTTP and FTP
    are no-no's. Check the forums for good firewalls for Winblows
    or Linux (or if you're a spiffy l337 type, code yer own). they
    can't tell what you're running if they can't find you.

Not that I, or anyone else, will openly condone the illicit use of cheap bandwidth. But as long as you're not
    going to be hosting 80 gigs of mp3's and various forms of visual entertainment ;-) and generating
    obscene amounts of traffic, they shouldn't really notice. Of course, this is assuming that you have a
    xDSL/cable connection.

Keep us informed bro, (same goes for your new car too, dude), and may the Force be with you...

zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin

Old Fart
    Give these the once-over and see if they fit your criteria...
    http://www.netfirms.com/
    http://www.freeservers.com/
    http://www.freewebspace.net/ <------------search engine for free hosting

Be advised that you will have to come up with $ to register a domain...that one is unavoidable.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

You can't get free .net or .org domains. You can't, a company pays for those, so they aren't going to give them out for free. When the domain name business was still not as popular as it is now, there used to be free domains given out, and even a few years ago, .com's were being given out by namedemo for free. You can get a free subdomain, but that is probably about it.

er0k
    as you can tell im not a big website constructor or anything, im new to the whole programming and scripting scene. i was always more of a hardware guy, anyway, thanks for the help. I guess we will get a subdomain, but id rather not have something crappy like .cjb.net, and zaddikm, the car is great. Just got it today, well yesterday since its not 2 am... but anyway, ill read up on my tcp/ip and then attempt to serve. i used to write pages in HTML, but that wasnt any fun. Just boring and basically pointless unless you are trying to impress your stupid parents that you can build a webpage

errr, yeah....

khakisrule has a good point (I can be wrong...often). if you noticed, my URL isn't a top-level domain,
    it's got that pesky ".d2g." in it. You can't get too much for free nowadays. If you're cool with having a
    "re-directed sub-domain" (for lack of a better way of putting it), or if you're financially-challenged like
    your's truly, there's not too much you can do. You can do better than $10 a month, though, I'm sure.
    Domain names can be had for $15-35 a year, $10 a month is a bit much. Shop around, have some patience,
    and you'll eventually be rewarded. In the meantime, if you want to get your feet wet, sub-domains can be a
    good thing.

Cheers,

zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin

er0k
    well thanks everyone, ill look around, i used to have a subdomain, (cjb.net) but was wanting a more advertising friendly domain. I guess ill look around, i heard new.net had some for cheap. again thanks.

free .ly domains for libyans www.nic.ly

but only if you are a libyan with a valid libyan home adress..
    ah whatever..

there are more things then .com or .net why not take a .tk adress
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

If you are getting together with some friends, it can' t be such a big deal to pay for it. You'll have better performance and better service. I use Powweb as a host and a Belgian dns provider, and I never have any problem. The whole thing costs me less than 10$ a month. So if you are 3 guys, that's about 3 to '$ per month ! For a great hobby like websites building, that's nada !

Cheers,
    hackySack

Hey erok, you're lucky man, you don't have to pay too much. Back when InterNIC was the sole provider for domain names, everybody had to pay $70 for 2 years, it was a minimum, now that InterNIC no longer has control over all the domains, it is much cheaper. At least now people have the choice of bargain hunting, you can just get a dirt cheap domain name provider, but they probably won't setup your DNS. So you can pay a little more for a DNS service. That way, it doesn't cost too much. I wonder if by setting up your own DNS server, you could take out the DNS cost, maybe, but doing that would be a bit of a hassle, just to save a little money.